It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

First HAUPTWERK project in a French Church

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Vangelis

First HAUPTWERK project in a French Church

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am

Hello,

I'm pleased to present this following french project:

SOULLANS is a small city based in the west of France. The parish decided to change an old GEM SONATA organ to a new one. After some demonstrations the parish was convinced by the HAUPTWERK system quality. The challenge was to keep a progressive access to the organ due to different organists level despite of the use of software and computer technology. Globally they would like:

- a basic level like a traditional electronic organ, no screen, no keyboard, no mouse. The most useful stops should be activated by hardware buttons.
- an advanced level with access to the full organ registration by the use of touch-screens.
- an expert level with a removable monitor, keyboard and mouse to access to the full HAUPTWERK features.
- for the three level the organ should start and stop with one button. No operating system access.

Project life:

First and by chance, I got an very old console GEM CONCERTO:

Pedal and console was not really new !

I spent some time to refresh the console and the pedals !

but the result is fine ..

An interesting work was to place the stops buttons and the androïd tablets into the side jambs.

and also to find and place a wood skin on its to get a church style !

Next step is to midify the keyboards and to build the front panel.

and of course to put inside the console the CPU, Audio-Midi interface, power supplies, MIDI boards from MIDI Hardware (thanks Roman), sound systems, inverter, and some wires ...

First test ! The real problem is not to interface HAUPTWERK it's more to launch it with just one button. I should to build a sequencer to launch in good order with appropriate timing all the drivers, adhoc network, tablets synchronization, Android - Windows interface and more ...

Left jamb with full stops control (four pages) on Tablet

Right jamb with full stops control (four pages) on Tablet

Last point "The new organ name" !

The organ is just coming in the church. Monitor will be suppress in common use.

Here is an example of Tablet page. The sampleset is the St Etienne de CAEN organ (French Cavaillé-Coll) used in DRY version.

A great project, thanks to Roman (Midi Hardware) and Martin (HW) to help me in some delicate situation ..;-)

All the best

Bernard
(More details in my web site http://www.studio-bernard.fr)

engrssc

Re: First HAUPTWERK project in a French Church

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Excellent, Bernard. Any details on the audio system, speaker layout?

Rgds,
Ed

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

...Jaw-dropped
...speechless
Congratulations,

Luis

engrssc

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Definitely like the tablets. 8) Any further information on them, setup, program you used?

Rgds,
Ed

Vangelis

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Tablets are low cost Android MPMAN MPQC974.

Low cost because we are in church so with no security, even if normally we are in a peace and quiet ambiance .... Low cost also because the tablets are doing nothing ! They just show a screen in 2D which change only when the stops changes. (except the audio and CPU peak level)

The first point of view of the organists is very positive. Even the oldest who were afraid by the presence of a computer inside the console, are now using exclusively the tablets.

Another point is also a tablet is a good investment if your organ have different sampleset ! No new label to print and fix to the hardware buttons !

The screens are made and powered by TOUCHOSC from Hexler.

Bernard

engrssc

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Not being familiar, are the tablets touch screen to activate the stops or do they just show the status of the stop tabs?

Rgds,
Ed

Vangelis

PostFri Nov 28, 2014 4:35 am

Hello Ed, yes the tablets activate all the organ stops and show the status in parallel with some hardware buttons below. With the CAEN sampleset there are 55 stops. For level one of organist they use only physical buttons but don't access to the full registration just principal stops. For level two of advanced organists they access to the full registration. In each tablet there are six tabs. Four tabs for the stops of each keyboard (3 plus pedal), one special tab for Grand-orgue AND Recit, and one special tab for pedals AND Positif. So if the organist select the fifth tab on the left tablet ans the sixth on the right tablet (for example) he has the full control and simultaneous view of the 55 stops. Additionally he can control some specific coupling or effects. Finally he can control the peak and the CPU audio level in real time.

Bernard

pat17

PostWed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 am

Bernard, congratulations for this comprehensive and very well thought and planned project ! 8)

The quality of the console restauration is amazing, especially as the inclusion of the tablets make it very easy to use... How much time was needed to complete the job?

By the way, have you installed other sample sets beside Caen? :wink:

Vangelis

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Many thanks pat, your congratulations warm my heart ! :)

It was approximately a three months job. I met a problem during the project due to the entries number of my Midi board interface. So I had to add another one and so redistribute all the hardware interface. I think two months should be enough for the next project. But to be quite honest I had checked all the main difficulties with my first KRONWERK III project that you could see on my web site (www.studio-bernard.fr)

Currently CAEN is alone as sampleset. But no doubt it will be join by other sampleset soon ! (Maybe Zwolle or VollenHove my favorite).

Bernard

Cavaillé-Cool

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Very nice achievement Bernard .
I am even more impressed that I am using since several years Hauptwerk in two southwestern churches of France where I am organist .
In one of the church there is a pipe organ with ten stops. I have midified the console in order to pilot both the pipes and Hauptwerk. The restauration of the console I have made is not as magnificent as yours.
In the other church, there is an Ahlborn organ with three keyboards. In order to have a better sound, I am using the console to control the PC. The PC sound card attacks the Ahlborn speakers.
Now, I have finished to implement your three level. Instead of Tablets, i am using LaunchPads.
Unfortunately I am not able to start with one button. My problem is the following :
do you know a way to start a standard PC just by plugging it ?
Turning off is easily achieved with Hauptwerk.
Paul

sjkartchner

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 1:28 am

This is absolutely delightful! A well-thought-out combination of hardware and software solutions to meet all levels of experience. This appears to fully address my primary concern about using Hauptwerk in a Church setting by providing ready solutions to all levels of users. Simply magnificent!
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

RichardW

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 am

Cavaillé-Cool wrote:... do you know a way to start a standard PC just by plugging it ?

Does your motherboard have an option to "Restore on Power Loss"? I set that on my PC and I can switch it off at the socket and (as long as I leave it for a few minutes) when I reapply power the PC reboots.

Here is one link but a search on: "PC Restore on Power Loss" should find many such links even though not all manufacturers give it the same name.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Automat ... ower-Loss/
Richard

Cavaillé-Cool

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks for the hint and the link, Richard. I am going to investigate along this line.
Indeed, you have four buttons which have to be switched on in an appropriated sequence and if possible summed up in one button. These concern :
- General electric power,
- Inverter,
- PC,
- Loud speakers.
In this list, Inverter and PC are difficult to insert in a sequencer.
Paul

RichardW

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 am

My system is a home system and I have it set up as described here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10097&p=93927&hilit=speakers#p93927

I have a one switch turn on but to turn off I need to shutdown the PC from HW then wait for that to happen before I throw the off switch. I regard that as OK for home use but not good enough for more general use.

I believe that by using an "Uninterruptible Power Supply" or UPS you should be able to make the process robust as these have varying degrees of programability. Perhaps someone with practical experience could set you in the right direction.
Richard

Vangelis

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Many thanks Paul, Stan for your congratulations. Happy if my project could give some ideas to the Hauptwerk community.

Regarding the "one switch start" problem, I use a USB relay board which is fully configurable to start all pieces of hardware (midi harware, motherboard, tablets, amplifiers, ....) I use also a software sequencer to start all pieces of software (adhoc network, midi drivers, sound drivers, midi sysex translator, tablets interface, and Hauptwerk, in the right order and in the right time. That needs some hardware and software knowledge but clearly the final process is really robust and flexible. If you look after old electronic organ (GEM, VISCOUNT) this kind of hardware and software sequencer was already used due to the time to warm the electronic components and to avoid strange initial situations and also some curious noises !

To stop the organ this is simply the reverse process, starting from the Hauptwerk exit midi command. On my opinion for an organ in a church, usualy without monitor, you can't avoid a one switch start/stop. As I often say, organist are there to play music, not to learn software or to control a Boeing dashboard.

Bernard
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems