It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

New Hauptwerk Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

johnh

New Hauptwerk Console

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Here are a couple of photos of our latest project, a rebuilt Moller console for use with Hauptwerk. Oh, and we kept the rest of the organ as well! This is now a hybrid instrument but with the additional feature that the console and HW features can be used independently of the rest of the pipe organ.

The organist really, really likes brass so we accommodated him!

The organist also teaches and wanted to be able to use the console soley as a HW controller so students can experience different organ styles. To that end we added separate switches so that the just the console can be powered while the chamber is left off. We've also prepared a spot to tuck a computer inside the console though at present an external laptop is being used.

This organ is fully enclosed with the Great and Choir sharing a chamber, hence the expression shoe labelled G - C. The expression pedals send divisional MIDI volume/expression events as expected. The Crescendo pedal is switchable between the traditional Crescendo function and a MIDI expression pedal that is currently mapped to Master Volume in HW. The speaker system for HW is in the chambers with the pipes. The existing organ also has two digital Walker Technical Company stops.

All of the tilting tabs, drawknobs and most of the pistons send MIDI messages and can thus be used with HW. We added two additional pistions on the swell manual (far left, and far right) as well as 8 more pistons in a drawer under the right jamb for use with HW, they have no other 'native' functionality. The drawer also contains the display for the organ's control system as well as additional indicator lights and function switches. This is the first console that I've wired that includes a 'low oil' indicator. The new Ventus blower includes a level switch on the oil resevoir.

This was a complete gut and rewire job of the 50's Moller console. Practically everything was replaced. New tab rail (OSI tilting tabs), new SDKs (Syndyne) replacing the original pneumatic combination action, new keyboards (P&S), refurbished pedalboard with new contacts (Peterson), new toe pistons (Laukhuff), new control system (Classic Organ Works), etc. In the chamber all the chests and resevoirs were completely releathered and the chests were all rewired. PIpes were removed, cleaned and evaluated before being reinstalled.

It will be interesting to see how the hybrid instrument gets used and if we 'guessed right' on the features and capabilities we planned for.

jkinkennon

Re: New Hauptwerk Console

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 am

Beautiful work! Love that it's a hybrid and am tickled to see the toe studs and expression pedals that give the console just a tinge of steam punk. So neat!

Antoni Scott

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 am

Stunning !!!!

mdyde

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 1:05 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Very impressive! I second John's comments on the toe studs and expression pedals. Almost a designer touch. :-)

Danny B.

flydeltajets

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 4:53 pm

That is a beautiful console! Almost a Schoenstein appearance. Would you please share the company/source for the brass expression pedals?

johnh

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm

flydeltajets wrote:Would you please share the company/source for the brass expression pedals?

The pedals were engraved in our shop on a 3D router. It's 1/8 brass over the existing wood shoe after we removed the rubber tread. I know that International Organ Supply is tooling up to provide cast brass expression pedals. They've had info about the process on their Facebook page.

ChangedForever

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Absolutely lovely!! I love the brass - great idea!! Thanks for updating the photo section!!

- Mark

engrssc

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 5:25 am

Hi John,

Really superb job. Thanks for sharing.

johnh wrote:This organ is fully enclosed with the Great and Choir sharing a chamber, hence the expression shoe labelled G - C.

Couple questions, how did you configure the G - C pedal to control the HW Great manual as most sample sets don't have the Great manual under expression?

johnh wrote:The expression pedals send divisional MIDI volume/expression events as expected. The Crescendo pedal is switchable between the traditional Crescendo function and a MIDI expression pedal that is currently mapped to Master Volume in HW.

Is that switching done via a piston or - - -?

johnh wrote:The existing organ also has two digital Walker Technical Company stops..

Is that via "two additional pistons on the swell manual (far left, and far right)"?

johnh wrote:The drawer also contains the display for the organ's control system as well as additional indicator lights and function switches.

Is the display an LCD display module? Really like the idea of keep the HW controls etc in such as a drawer/ Keeps the authentic look of the console intact.

Will you have a means to connect (as needed) a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse after the laptop is replaced?

Also are thumb pistons and rocker tabs lighted?

Lastly, there are 3 panels to the far right of the coupler tabs.. What do these control?

Rgds,
Ed

johnh

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 am

engrssc wrote:Couple questions, how did you configure the G - C pedal to control the HW Great manual as most sample sets don't have the Great manual under expression?

I'm not precisely sure how the organist is using the GC pedal. From a MIDI standpoint it's just a Continuous Controller that can be mapped in HW.

Is that switching done via a piston or - - -?

That switching is accomplished via a switch in the drawer. There are a number of simple SPST switches in the drawer for various functions.

Is that via "two additional pistons on the swell manual (far left, and far right)"?

No, the Walker stops appear on drawknobs just like the other physcial stops in the organ. Walker provided a 'chest like' interface (notes/stops) for their system that was part of the original Moller installation. We re-used that, there is a an output driver board for those stops just like all the other physical stops in the organ.

Is the display an LCD display module? Really like the idea of keep the HW controls etc in such as a drawer/ Keeps the authentic look of the console intact.

It's actually a VFD module. The overall control system in this organ is from Classic Organ Works and the VFD is their standard display for controlling their system. I too prefer to hide these.

Will you have a means to connect (as needed) a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse after the laptop is replaced?

Even some months later the laptop is still in use and so a final arrangement has yet to be implemented. There is provision for a separate power switch for the internal PC as well as room to route cables out.

Also are thumb pistons and rocker tabs lighted?

None of the pistons or rocker tabs are lighted. The rocker tabs remain in whichever position they've been tilted so have a built-in (so to speak) indicator.

Lastly, there are 3 panels to the far right of the coupler tabs.. What do these control?

There are three two digit LED displays as well as a row colored LEDS that display the state of the organ control system. Normally the VFD module has this information but with the drawer closed you can't see it. The numeric displays (some have multiple uses) show the Memory level, the Registration Sequencer step, the Crescendo position, the Transposer level, etc.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 am

Stunning console. Beautifully elegant. Every time I see another console converted to Hauptwerk it reminds me of how far we have actually come in the digital age. When first introduced to Hauptwerk I was totally overcome by the perceived complexity of it all only to realize that it was not really that complicated. Initially, the most difficult part was to understand the "computer-eze" language that the computer guys like to bandy about like "Boot camp", "interlacing", "through-put" etc. I find it hard to visualize and compare a divided hard drive with my military experiences in Boot-camp.
After assembling my fist Hauptwerk, using digital Fatar keyboards and a monitor, I yearned for the more traditional console with stop knobs or tabs that you could physically move by hand. It gave me the traditional feel that it was an organ I was playing rather than an electronic contraption. An opportunity arose where I could convert a console that was headed for the dumpster. With real movable stops and beautiful cabinetry it was worth investing in digital scanning boards (from Artisan). It was not that complicated, just very repetitive. What could be better than to save an old console and have it play beautiful Hauptwerk sample sets.
One thing that impresses me is the level of creativity from Hauptwek enthusiasts. Since the costs are so low, relatively speaking, many more enthusiasts attempt conversions than would otherwise do so. We are living in exciting times.
Antoni

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems