It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

Portable Hauptwerk Setup

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

sjkartchner

Portable Hauptwerk Setup

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 pm

I will be accompanying a choir where the space is very limited so I am unable to use a full-size organ. So, I came up with this portable Hauptwerk setup that will permit me to retain the essential functionality of a full-size instrument while occupying a much smaller footprint:

It consists of the following:

Kurzweil PC3 76-key semi-weighted keyboard
JG3 24-note pedalboard and folding bench combo
Mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro w/ 8GB ram
RME Babyface Pro USB stereo audio and midi interface
Midi Solutions midi merger
On-Stage heavy duty Z keyboard stand (older style) w/ attached music stand
Schantz Opus 918 sample set by Organ Expressions
Hauptwerk Advanced Edition

A few observations concerning this setup:

I used the Schantz sample set because a) I already had it, b) it fits within the memory constraints of my Macbook Pro, c) it sounds pretty decent for what it is, and d) it is a dry set which should work well for the outdoor live performance venue (the FOH engineer can add reverb if/as needed).

I normally wear organ shoes, but I found that playing in stocking feet gives me greater flexibility (i.e., able to use heels) and accuracy while playing on the rather short and narrow JG3 pedalboard.

The JG3 pedals and bench are quite lightweight. However, I had to cut off about 5" from the top of each leg of the bench so it could be adjusted down to the appropriate height for my keyboard setup.

The Kurzweil keyboard is split into two zones for the Great and Swell divisions.

The top two notes of the JG3 pedalboard are used for combination sequencing which has worked out quite well.

The RME Babyface Pro, like other RME products I have used, has rock solid drivers and sounds very good. The midi functionality appears to be flawless.

The On-Stage stand is the most stable keyboard stand I have ever used. And it is easily disassembled for greater portability.

The entire setup (with the exception of a stand for the Macbook Pro) will just fit on a 4' x 4' platform.

Although a volume pedal is connected, it sits to the side of the pedalboard and therefore has limited utility.

Everything can easily be carried in the back of an SUV.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

sjkartchner

Re: Portable Hauptwerk Setup

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 am

FYI, the portable setup described above worked well for the outdoor event on Sunday, 8/13/17. In addition to the items listed above, I also used a powered speaker (Mackie SRM450) and 18" subwoofer for local monitoring and reinforcement of the low frequencies. That was helpful to me and to the choir as the only other monitors for the choir (and me) were a pair of 8" 2-way Electro-Voice monitor wedges.

I wouldn't want to have to use this system for an organ performance, but for the choir numbers I accompanied (one with active pedaling), it worked fairly well. And, it had the advantage over a regular-size classical organ of being easier to move, set up and tear down.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems