It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

My Console Project almost complete

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

jcrowley

My Console Project almost complete

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi All!

Thanks to many board members and Hauptwerians I have nearly completed my new console.

"Almost" because I still have yet to put together a computer.

Gathered from Yamaha, CONN, Haygren and Allen a new console has been born.

Here is a link to my Flickr Albums! Enjoy.
The Project
https://www.flickr.com/gp/184727126@N07/27a2y3

The Beginning
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJhtWmf
Bench
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJgK6X5
Keyboards
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJgLuF5
Pedalboard
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJgHMWN

Jeffery

engrssc

Re: My Console Project almost complete

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Amazing the vast number of individual parts needed for such a project. Not sure someone who buys an already built organ can appreciate this. Looks good. No doubt there be a certain amount of pride when it's finished and you can begin making music. :)

Rgds,
Ed

cham-ed

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 am

I'm a woodworker in addition to being an organ playing hack. Absolutely first class wood working. Great choices in various wood (I love the burled material). If it plays as half as good as it looks you will have a great instrument.
Two suggestions, one (if you haven't done this already) use threaded inserts as much as possible. There will be times when you need to remove panels. Repeated removal of screws into wood wears out the holes. I did this to our console at church and every time it is serviced we are glad we are not trying to put screws back in old worn out holes or debating things like plugging and redrilling screw holes.
The second you perhaps know this already. We are our own worst critics. Since you are human there will be something that isn't perfect in your mind. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER point them out to anyone. Most don't have the skill to see them. And those with the skill understand.
But all in all congratulations if looks fantastic.

engrssc

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am

cham-ed wrote:Since you are human there will be something that isn't perfect in your mind. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER point them out to anyone. Most don't have the skill to see them. And those with the skill understand.

Really a great philosophy. But it takes time (in my case) to "over look" those small flaws that I, alone, know are there. :wink: Great sounding music, thanks to HW and skilled sample set producers, does help. :)

Rgds,
Ed

jcrowley

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 pm

cham-ed wrote:...Two suggestions, one (if you haven't done this already) use threaded inserts as much as possible. There will be times when you need to remove panels. Repeated removal of screws into wood wears out the holes. I did this to our console at church and every time it is serviced we are glad we are not trying to put screws back in old worn out holes or debating things like plugging and redrilling screw holes.

Thank you - and yes I thought ahead and this console does have side and back panels and they are with threaded inserts. I just thought that I would make the whole thing more or less moveable by me. So four parts plus pedalboard.

ChangedForever

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:37 am

Jcrowley - wonderful work of art!! Where will the finished organ be located - home? Will you be embedding the displays into bolsters? I plan to embed mine so the local yocals won't be tempted to break in and steal flat screen monitors to sell for meth!

Thank again for the picture links!!!,
Mark

jcrowley

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:19 am

]Will you be embedding the displays into bolsters? I plan to embed mine so the local yocals won't be tempted to break in and steal flat screen monitors to sell for meth!

Yes the console is at my home. It looks as if I forgot to put a final picture of the whole shebang. The monitors are on articulating arms and can be either landscape or portrait and moved into several different configurations as the sample-set dictates. I have a Launchpad Mini to handle the combination action, cancels for each division and a master cancel with a stepper as well. I have never had the experience of using a combination action that actually works so it wasn't a pressing feature!

jcrowley

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:46 pm

Just added a few more almost complete photos, Launchpad MINI and some other photos to my existing albums.

Now working on the computer. I have had most items for my build for over four years. And since the warranty period is waaaaay over, I thought that I would attempt to put it all together.

It is BIG...
Extended ATX SuperMicro x8DTN+-F-O Motherboard
2 Xeon Westmere quad-core processors
starting with 128GB of RAMALAMA-Ding-dong with room for a total of 288GB! Whoo-wee I can safely say that I future-proofed this rig!

This is a One-Horse Trick so only the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (I know that part is already out-dated but if I don't need to change anything.)..Why?

Running Windows 10 pro and am generally very pleased with how well it integrates everything. I was "dragged" into Win 10 several years ago on my UVI Piano computer updated itself and everything seemed to work much better other than it killed my long-lived E-MU 1616 which worked flawlessly until the update. I had years ago the M-Audio 1010 Delta which stopped working with a later version of Win7 Pro. I pulled both sound cards out on my latest surgery - I had totally forgotten about that card still being in the PC.
I have replaced it with a ASUS Xonar 5.1 Card - mainly because it was not as expensive as my other two cards and there is Win10 support for the software and drivers. It has ASIO and a very good headphone connection.

I also have to replace my sound card in my office PC for the same reason...I never really purchased anything for that computer because the Realtek internal 7.1 worked ok, but now I am going to upgrade to the ASUS Essential STX 7.1 Card which should be much better and again has ASIO. Although both were highly recommended for the "gaming community" which seems to be the only thing that is driving the computer industry right now. Just try to get a CPU fan or Case Fan or Keyboard or Motherboard/Case that DOESN'T have flashing RGB lights! But even though "gamers" sang the praises of these cards they really are very good and not too much moolah!

Dual 22" ViewSonic TD 2220 Touch Screens - this took a good two days to sort out the touch - both are working flawlessly.

I have worked with touchscreens since the late 1980's for a point-of-sale company in New York City. I am shocked that they have not come down in price at all. I was hoping for capacitive touch but got infra-red due to the price and the quality of ViewSonics screens. Very hard - no scratch screens!

engrssc

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Strictly curious as to why the music rack is so high?

Rgds,
Edd

ChangedForever

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:00 am

Jrcrowley - still lookin' good - thanks for the additional pictures!!

My dual HP touch displays were a bear to set up in Win 10, but were easily recognized in Win 7. weird.

Sounds like that computer will handle anything you throw at it!!

Regards,
Mark

jcrowley

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

engrssc wrote:Strictly curious as to why the music rack is so high?

Rgds,
Edd

I thought so too, but in order for me to get all of the sound equipment and other peripheral stuff in - the height just got greater. Actually it balances out with the screens - it is just a little taller than portrait view. In reality it is one of the lowest racks I have ever delt with. If you also notice it is way closer to the front of the keyboard and sits at eye level for me. I had lessons on a 3 manual Möller and I could not play at either end of pedalboard AND turn pages too!

The digital music screen is also very convenient to use. The digital rack is a 21" HannSpree capacitive touch Screen run by it's own tiny NUC computer that fits behind the regular music rack - running PowerMusic. A program from Great Britian. This digital rack also can go to my piano setup and I have built a special wooden rack from scraps of the Conn organ and Wenge wood.

The digital rack nestles into the regular rack and there is room for paper music on to of it.

jcrowley

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 pm

[quote="ChangedForever"]

My dual HP touch displays were a bear to set up in Win 10, but were easily recognized in Win 7. weird."

I know what you are saying RE: Win10 and touchscreens - I had an easier time using doubleDOS with 2 CRT touchscreens! It is supposed to be a "native function" in this operating system. But again it is really for "tablets" and "gamers" I do not know what we are going to do in the future. It seems as if casual users and gamers are driving this industry. Even "Professionals" and I use the term loosely all running around with their "tablets" that "create music" and edit photos for publication. When they do not know how and why their devices work and most of their "apps" are very stripped down thin "programs" that do most of the work. It is like the music world telling us that MP3 files are an authentic and "upgraded hi-fi" experience whilst stripping critical data from the mix and then selling all sorts of "upgrade enhancements" to "fix and replace" the missing pieces. Ja, right!
Last edited by jcrowley on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnaton

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm

jcrowley wrote:Just added a few more almost complete photos, Launchpad MINI and some other photos to my existing albums.

I noticed in one photo your Launchpad has a custom skin on it. Very nice. I like the logo and the well defined functions. Can you share how you did that? Launchpad labeling as been a passing topic in the past.

Oh, nice job on your console. The burled wood blank piston rails look sharp!

Thanks,

Danny B.

dw154515

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm

magnaton wrote:
jcrowley wrote:Just added a few more almost complete photos, Launchpad MINI and some other photos to my existing albums.

I noticed in one photo your Launchpad has a custom skin on it. Very nice. I like the logo and the well defined functions. Can you share how you did that? Launchpad labeling as been a passing topic in the past.

Oh, nice job on your console. The burled wood blank piston rails look sharp!

Thanks,

Danny B.

Danny,

Since you talked me into messing with the Launchpad Mini, I've discovered that I can use my wifes Cricut machine to do such skins and labels. I worry about the longevity of the adhesive to those rubbery buttons, though. Maybe a touch of glue?
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 pm

https://www.onlinelabels.com/general/samplesviewitem.aspx?id=1597&colorid=0

These clear gloss 0.5" X 0.5" labels work very well. The company, onlinelabels.com provide a template for each size label. Labels can by ordered to print with either a laser or inkjet printer. You can request free samples (max of 3 sheets for a given label.)

After printing, I suggest spraying them with a Krylon product - Preserve It. Several light coats, (allowing adequate drying time in between coats) works well. The labels are self adhesive and the adhesive sticks very well so you want to get the position correct the first time. I use fine tweezers for this.

They have a great many sizes, materials and colors to choose from. Using the clear version labels permits the LaunchPad LED to shine thru. With 221 labels per sheet, you don't need too many (free sample) sheets. I first print on regular paper to verify alignment.

Re the issue of these labels being more or less permanent, I have 3 separate LaunchPads (each with appropriate different labeling) bought used on eBay at "reasonable" prices.

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems