It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 am

HW V, POW 450 controlling Petrof Grand Piano

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Keys61

HW V, POW 450 controlling Petrof Grand Piano

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 pm

Hi all,

I’ve had fun setting this up to work from the Paramount 450 piano tabs. My Petrof piano has a PianoDisk Player system installed on it, and by using the midi in jack , I’m able to play the piano from the Hauptwerk/Paramount 450.... from any of the Piano tabs.

One thing that makes this work are the audio buffers found on the audio engine in Hauptwerk V. The piano is a few microseconds slower then the usual audio form HW. By using the audio buffers to put a slight delay on the outgoing audio I’m able to get the playback in perfect sync. It’s like playing a pipe organ which has a slight delay.

It makes my Paramount 450 Virtual Theatre Organ even more “lifelike.” Because many of the larger theatre pipes organs had player pianos which operated from the console.

See it in operation here:

https://youtu.be/Z0zzCQIv1wg
Steve Schlesing

engrssc

Re: HW V, POW 450 controlling Petrof Grand Piano

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 am

Very nice, Steve. Did you make any other YouTube videos? Cheers. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Keys61

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 3:48 pm

I’ve made lots of You Tube videos with Hauptwerk, but this is the first since I’ve hooked up the Petrof to play from the organ. I’m sure through the coming months I’ll do a few more.

Thanks.
Steve Schlesing

engrssc

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Great combination, the piano with the 450.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Hey Steve,

Well that's a unique sound Country Floyd Cramer on a VTPO, ha!
I did a Johnny B. Goode arrangement on the 310 so I can appreciate the talent and effort it takes.

I have a MIDI file of that tune with the player using the Floyd Cramer slide note technique.
I have not been able to duplicate it in 30 years of trying :)

Also do you have velocity on your Piano keyboard manual? If not how do you take care of the piano dynamics?

Nice job,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Keys61

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 8:45 am

Also do you have velocity on your Piano keyboard manual? If not how do you take care of the piano dynamics?

No velocity available on my Allen Organ manuals, so I just have to set the volume of the piano at a general volume and make sure the organ doesn’t get drowned out, or overpower the piano.

The Wurlitzer at the Detroit Fox has an upright player piano in the chamber, so it’s volume originally was controlled by the shutters. The Wurlitzer at the Senate Theatre has a Grand Piano connected, and you can set the console so the swell pedal will adjust the vacuum motor that operates the piano, thus giving you volume control on the piano. You can also set it so it is just on “full vacuum” and doesn’t vary with the swell pedals.
Steve Schlesing

engrssc

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 1:06 pm

Can you use one of the expression pedals, (possibly the crescendo) to control the piano volume? Via a switch for either (expr ped) normal function or piano vol?
Another thought to add a kick switch for loud piano volume when kick switch is on, normal or controlled volume when the kick switch is off.
Does the piano permit remote sostenuto operation?

Rgds,
Ex

Keys61

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 10:26 pm

Ed,

I’m happy with it the way it is. I could send velocity info from my Allen Swell pedals, but it is clunky to use and I’m satisfied with how it works now, but thanks for the suggestions.
Steve Schlesing

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems