It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm

Allen ADC-8000 Project

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Allen ADC-8000 Project

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:45 pm

https://i0.wp.com/nwmidi.com/wp-content ... scaled.jpg?

I haven't posted a photo in some time. Here's my latest project, a handsome Allen ADC-8000. This is my first attempt to keep an Allen organ fully functional and it has been a success. The 13 Allen audio channels feed 26 large Allen speakers, all of which need the midrange drivers re-coned which is normal for these 30+ year old speakers. I have the surrounds in hand for that big project but will use studio monitors for now. I will feed the Allen audio to my audio interface inputs so that running the original Allen sound or Hauptwerk audio is just a matter of loading a different configuration into the Focusrite 18i20 interface.

I have some of the details posted over on the Organ Forum where it's handy to post photos. I am considering reworking a front door to get this deep console inside from the garage. As with all my Allen conversions the stops are fully functional. The plan is to do some drawknob engraving when I settle on a primary sample set.
Last edited by jkinkennon on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larason2

Re: Allen ADC-8000 Project

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm

Very nice. I have been following your progress with a lot of interest on the other forum as well. That’s quite a find! I’m particularly impressed by your development of the circuit boards necessary to make this work.

engrssc

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:14 am

deleted
Last edited by engrssc on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:18 am

Like the expression pedal potentiometer mounts., John. Simple, straight forward design. Seems to me we've seen similar in the past. :wink: What are the rods you are using?

Any chance you'd make a few of the mounts available? As I don't have a 3D printer - yet.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 am

The 3D printed expression pedal linkages are worth a look. I used to make these from pieces of nylon that I cut and screwed together but these look a lot better. I buy the 1/4" aluminum rods in 3' lengths from the local hardware store and cut them into 12" lengths. They come in a couple of wall thicknesses and the thicker walls are perfect for tapping 10-24 threads. The store was out of shaft collars so I substituted nylon spacers which were easy to drill and tap. At the bottom of the rod there is an eyebolt with a tiny grommet.

I have one of the new Creality CR-6 SE 3D printers which has worked really well on a variety of projects. I can make the file available to do these mounting devices. They seem plenty strong but could of course be made a bit longer and thicker if desired. As is they take about a half hour each to print at 40% fill. This 3D Printing is totally new to me but good for all kinds of adapters and enclosures. Seems like the possibilities are endless. And it's a much more affordable hobby than CRC Routers for those who like automation.

brooke.benfield

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Most impressive, John.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems