It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

My homebuilt VPO console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

ReinerS

My homebuilt VPO console

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi all,

thought I'd share some pictures of my console that I built this year. Actually it is finished already since July. It is constructed entirely from oiled glued wood panels (beech wood). Keyboards are Fatar TP 60 LF, which I find very nice. The pedalboard is a used pedalboard from an old Ahlborn DS-16 (I think from the 80s?). The expression pedals are also vintage analogue organ stuff, and the crescendo wheel is made from a large number of old DVDs with some ribbed rubber wrapped around. Works very nicely!
For the electronic part I kind of mixed some things together. Originally I only wanted to have it send signals to Hauptwerk, and I got encoder boards from Nico Goes. Then I decided I wanted the pistons to light up and also to add some displays for Hauptwerk status information and expression pedals. Since I had previous experience with the MIDIbox DIY encoder stuff and also some parts for that lying around, I simply build a MIDIbox main processor board and an output decoder and this is now driving the three displays and also providing some special logic.
Here are a few pictures which I took when I had it all put together:
image1
image2
image3

I'm happy to share my experiences in the building and programming process if anyone is interested.

Regards
Reiner

jcrowley

Re: My homebuilt VPO console

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 pm

Your project looks very nice and minimalistic. I tried to keep mine simple but the woodworker in me came out!

Jeffery

ReinerS

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 2:37 am

jcrowley wrote:Your project looks very nice and minimalistic. I tried to keep mine simple but the woodworker in me came out!

Thanks! Guess the main reason for it coming out minimalistic is my limited woodworking skill :wink:

larason2

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Very nice! I like the rollschweller! Very creative!

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems