It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

My Organ Story

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

bambergfranken

My Organ Story

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:53 am

My "XY" organ is now a thing of the past

Initial situation:

In January 2020 I bought a 4-manual organ from the german organ builder "XY" (photo = organ in the workshop).

Most "XY"customers are certainly very satisfied with their "XY" organ. Everyone has different expectations and demands.

I was not satisfied.

The following points bothered me:

1. The intermediate manual bars were only plugged in and not screwed. When pressing the thumb pistons, the wooden bar bent inwards.

2. Manual 1 was fixed. From manual 2 (upwards) the manuals bent downwards when played. They were only attached to the manual cheeks (left and right).

3. The 4th manual was installed crooked (photo).

4. Normally the manual cheeks end with the top manual. On many "XY" organs, however, the manual cheeks are extended by an additional step. This looks very strange indeed (photo).

5. I ordered the organ with 3 displays. But it was delivered with 5. What should I do with them? For me, one display is enough for the setter combinations and one for the crescendo roller. Perhaps an additional display for the swell step (photo).

6 The organ bench still wobbles today.

In my opinion, the "XY" organ had not only qualitative but also optical deficiencies.

So I wanted to find a solution which, above all, had to be affordable. I had already invested enough money in the "XY" organ.

My idea was to find someone who could build a new instrument from the existing parts. The Fatar keyboards (TP 60 LW), organ builder's swell steps (no wooden boards) and the electronics were to be reused for reasons of cost. In addition, the subsequently purchased Plexiglas music stand from the Laukhuff GmbH company.

But my plan did not work out. None of the companies asked wanted to reuse my 2-year-old parts. So I would have had to start from scratch again.

But then, through an old contact a master organ builder from the district of Munich came forward who was willing to support me.

To be continued …

bambergfranken

Re: My Organ Story

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:31 am

New beginning

At the beginning, we had to think about what the new organ should look like.
What do I want? What is financially feasible?

I wanted a dark wood strip in the manual cheeks.

I would like to have a superstructure (left and right) at the height of the 1st manual.

I wished for two stop rockers ("light on / off" and "organ on / off").

I wished my Fatar keyboards to be reused.

I wish that all manuals are fixed and do not bend.

I wished for illuminated thumb pistons with wooden rests.
And I wished for two thumb pistons (10 and 100 up / 10 and 100 down) above the 4th manual.

To be continued ...

bambergfranken

Re: My Organ Story

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 am

In the meantime, the console (lower edge of the manual upwards) is finished.
Finally I have a sensible instrument on which nothing wobbles and which, in contrast to the previous instrument, is also aesthetically beautiful.

At the moment, I'm still using the old substructure and pedal from the osi company (http://www.osi-profisoundsysteme.de). But the substructure will also be disposed of and rebuilt at the turn of the year.

End

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems