It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

Missing voices in midi playback/recording

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

valentini

Missing voices in midi playback/recording

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 am

Hi all,

I'm needing to make some reference recordings using the Claviorganum of midi files I've created using Musescore. I can't get all the voices to play, though! When I used an SATB midi file (four separate staves), only the middle two voices played back in the Claviorganum. But when I used a grand staff (two staves) with two voices on each staff, only the pedal plays, and it only plays the tenor voice when it is below an F (I think...).

Clearly, the midi output defaults in Musescore are not aligning well with the default midi settings in the Claviorganum (and neither software makes it that easy to get "under the hood," it seems). Any suggestions to get all 4 voices to play back? I'm happy to tinker at either "end" (the Musescore creation of the midi file or the Hauptwerk midi playback settings)...

THANKS

Loren

mdyde

Re: Missing voices in midi playback/recording

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 am

Hello Loren,

I have no experience with Musescore, so I can't comment meaningfully myself on what might be possible within that, but for using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player to play MIDI files created by software other than Hauptwerk, have a look at these topics:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19852&p=148963
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18810&p=141645#p141637

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder/player uses and requires the MIDI implementation described in brief in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' sub-section of the Hauptwerk user guide (page 236 in the current v6.0.2 version), with the full implementation documented via the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk (with the relevant organ loaded).

Hence if you want to play a MIDI file using Hauptwerk's built-in player you need to make sure that your MIDI file uses that specific MIDI implementation, editing the MIDI file externally to Hauptwerk accordingly if needed.

mdyde wrote:Alternatively, if you wanted to interface [your MIDI editing software] directly to Hauptwerk (rather than using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player), see the 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the guide [pages 248-252 in the current v6.0.2 version].

mdyde wrote:(P.S. We do also have an enhancement request logged regarding potentially adding the ability for Hauptwerk to import MIDI files that had been saved from other applications, with Hauptwerk applying user-defined MIDI implementation mappings as it opens/imports them.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing