It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

Hauptwerk MIDI Port X => MIDI Interface X

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Hauptwerk MIDI Port X => MIDI Interface X

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 am

Hello,

For convenience, I want to match the MIDI port numbers of HW with the numbers of my interfaces, which is not currently the case.

I created ‘User aliases’, believing they would appear in windows mentioning MIDI ports, but unfortunately they don’t. Will it therefore be necessary that I act in the ‘MIDI ports’ window to correct all the correspondences, which will force me to redo all the detections?

Thanks in advance,
Luc

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk MIDI Port X => MIDI Interface X

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 8:36 am

Hello Luc,

The drop-down selectors for MIDI ports on controls' (keyboards, pistons, etc.) MIDI settings screens are always sorted as:

Console MIDI port 01, ..., Console MIDI port 32

... (not by any user aliases that you might have assigned to them), so yes -- if you specifically wanted those drop-down lists to be sorted by your Windows MIDI port names then you would need to re-assign the ports on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen so that they were in the same order, which would indeed mean auto-detecting all of your MIDI settings, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks Martin. Can I suggest for a later version that ‘User alias’ replace ‘Console MIDI port xx’ in all windows that mention ports? Otherwise, I do not see the interest of these allies very well.

Best regards,
Luc

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks, Luc.

The aliases do have a point in that they are displayed in those drop-down lists (along with the associated 'Console MIDI IN/OUT nn' labels), but I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd prefer the lists to be sorted by the aliases (not the 'Console MIDI IN/OUT nn' text).
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am

Sorry, I think I misspoke (maybe a matter of language). What I miss is that the alias names don’t appear in the other windows, for example ‘Auto-detecting MIDI settings’.
Luc

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks, Luc.

The aliases should certainly be visible on the auto-detection screens, as well as on controls' MIDI settings screens. I've been investigating, and there's actually a bug there, in that when making changes to aliases on the MIDI ports screen the aliases sometimes aren't getting refreshed on the other screens straight away. I've fixed that now for inclusion in the next Hauptwerk version.

The work-around is to restart Hauptwerk after changing any aliases on the MIDI ports screen (although re-loading the organ might be sufficient), which will ensure the changes are refreshed on other screens. My apologies for the bug.
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 pm

OK, Martin, no problem. If it is enough to restart the sample set or even HW, this is not a serious problem, because we do not change the name of the aliases every day.
Luc

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks, Luc.
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 2:53 pm

I still have a suggestion. Is it necessary to display both ‘Hauptwerk MIDI port X’ and its alias? Wouldn’t it be more readable if the alias replaced the original name? The text would be shorter. What do you think?
Luc

mdyde

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks, Luc, but I'd definitely prefer to keep the 'Hauptwerk MIDI IN/OUT nn' text present too, so that it's as clear as possible how the MIDI port entries in drop-down lists relate to the entries on the MIDI ports screen. I did write in the enhancement request I logged earlier for you that the alias could precede that text (i.e. the 'Hauptwerk MIDI IN/OUT nn' could become a suffix, instead of a prefix) though, which I think would help with how you'd like it to appear.
Best regards, Martin.

ludu

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Many thanks, Martin. Your idea is a great compromise.
Luc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing