It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Audio takes a moment to "click on" after the program opens?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

high5ths

Audio takes a moment to "click on" after the program opens?

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 11:27 pm

Hi friends.
I've got a satisfying little "portative" setup (more details below) and recently I've noticed that sometimes when I turn the system on, Hauptwerk starts up and gets to the organ, but audio takes a little while to turn on. I can press keys on the MIDI keyboard and they move on the screen, but audio doesn't come out of the speakers. Sometimes it's as much as 10 seconds, and suddenly it jerks on and audio starts working. I don't remember it taking this long in the past. More alarmingly, I came back from lunch today (the organ had been on a couple hours) and audio stopped working entirely. I restarted the computer, unplugged and replugged in the audio interface, and then things started working again, but that never happened in the past. I noticed there's a firmware update available for the MOTU 8a interface, and I'll install that tomorrow and see if it solves the issue, but does anybody have any other ideas?

Hauptwerk 7 on a Mac Mini (2018, 3.6 GHz Quad-Core i3)
audio interface: MOTU 8a (connected via Thunderbolt-to-USB-C, running at 96 kHz)
MIDI interface: MOTU micro lite

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

mdyde

Re: Audio takes a moment to "click on" after the program ope

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:08 am

Hello Jeff,

Just in case it's relevant: if macOS doesn't have enough 'free' memory for itself (which can be a surprising amount), it can fail to produce any audio output. A quick way to test whether that might be the problem is temporarily to change all ranks to load in mono (thus using about half as much memory for Hauptwerk), or try a small organ, such as St. Anne's.

Failing that, hopefully the firmware update might fix it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

high5ths

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks for the reply Martin.

The firmware update didn’t seem to change anything here — but maybe I’m just being too picky, and audio has always taken a few seconds to “get going”?

The organ I’m using is this tiny one: https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/ ... model.html
I’m using the dry version and only loading the center channels, which are mono already, so the whole thing takes very little RAM. I only have 8GB total but Haupwerk reports 5GB free after this organ is loaded.

Here’s a quick movie showing Hauptwerk loading my organ and the audio delay I’m feeling when it opens. This was about the quickest it ever starts up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj7773nwym1hj ... g.MOV?dl=0

But maybe I’m just misremembering and it has always been like this.

Thanks,
Jeff

mnailor

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am

That looks a lot faster than mine... After the audio engine restart during the popup window (which wasn't unusually slow), the additional time to sound may be the initial air fill. Some SP organs take a long breath before they can speak. That also wasn't all that long -- try waiting for Dom Bedos to fill its reservoirs.

high5ths

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 11:18 am

mnailor wrote:)the additional time to sound may be the initial air fill. Some SP organs take a long breath before they can speak. That also wasn't all that long -- try waiting for Dom Bedos to fill its reservoirs.

Thank you! I think you’re right — I looked at the blower screen this time and in fact it does look like it takes that long for the blowers to fill. I didn’t even think of that…

mdyde

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 11:20 am

Thanks, Jeff.

To add to Mark's reply, you could try loading St. Anne's to see how quickly that produces sound. Its wind model gets up to pressure rapidly, so should produce sound almost immediately after audio/MIDI has started.
Best regards, Martin.

high5ths

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:03 pm

mdyde wrote:Thanks, Jeff.

To add to Mark's reply, you could try loading St. Anne's to see how quickly that produces sound. Its wind model gets up to pressure rapidly, so should produce sound almost immediately after audio/MIDI has started.

Indeed, you’re right, that’s basically instantaneous — sorry the false alarm, then. Weirdly, I thought I had tried some other organs before resorting to a forum post, but this definitely explains this. Sorry about that. And maybe the more serious issue I experienced just once (audio not working at all when I returned back to the organ) was a fluke, or perhaps was an issue fixed by this morning’s firmware update.

Thank you again for your help!

Jeff

mdyde

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:17 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing