It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

Multichannel Setup

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

hptschupp

Multichannel Setup

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 am

I'm about to complete my Hauptwerk 4 manual console, Next project is to setup a multi channel system. I have the MOTU Ao24 with 24 analogue channels out.

Question: With Hauptwerk 7 and a given sample set (such as Rotterdam Laurenskerk) can I route audio separation only by division or even by stop or sections of a stop. This fact is important for me to plan the frequency range of the related speakers. I finally plan to use all 24 channels of the Ao24.

mdyde

Re: Multichannel Setup

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 am

Hello hptschupp,

Basically, yes. In more detail:

You can route the upper and lower portions of any given rank separately to any mixer bus group you like. A mixer bus group can contain up to 1024 mixer buses (up to 1024 mono speakers, or stereo speaker pairs), and the group's selected allocation algorithm will route the individual pipes that are routed to the group amongst the speakers in the group according to their MIDI note numbers (e.g. cyclically, according to MIDI note number).

Hence, for example, you could do any or all of the following:

- Route different ranks to different speaker pairs, or to different groups of pairs.
- Route different divisions to different speaker pairs (by multi-selecting their ranks when routing them), or to different groups of pairs.
- Route the upper and lower portions of any ranks separately to different speaker pairs, or to different groups of pairs.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hptschupp

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 10:54 am

Thank you mdyde for the detailed information. That was very helpful.

One more question: If I program the speaker routing in HW for a given Sample Set I assume I can save these setting. Let's say I use a second Sample Set, can I then reconfigure the routing and save it only for this Sample Set?

mdyde

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.

hptschupp wrote:One more question: If I program the speaker routing in HW for a given Sample Set I assume I can save these setting. Let's say I use a second Sample Set, can I then reconfigure the routing and save it only for this Sample Set?

You can save up to 128 independent routing schemes (='mixer presets'), and assign any of them to any organs. Hence, yes -- you can use one routing scheme for one organ, and a different one for another.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hptschupp

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:03 am

Thank you very much!

Jan Loosman

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 am

If you plan for such an extended setup May i suggest, if your room allows it, to add 2 side channels left and right( at the ceiling) to your playing position and use these channels for the most distant front perspective of the 8 channel sets.
This setup broadens the sound, adding space to the side and also adding hight giving a more genuine reproduction of the soundfield of the church.
In my experience It also improves the articulation of the sound of the front channels.

succes with your setup

Jan

TubaFan

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:30 am

There is a lot you can do with rank routing that in general seems to be unexplored by most people. On our church installation we are running 22.2 through the same MOTU unit and I route organs by rank to the different speaker groups. Other than 2 monitors dedicated to the pedal, everything is mono to speaker groups of 4 using tone matching mode 1, and stops are routed individually based on a number of factors to the different groups. It may differ in a small room, but the result in a large room is that instead of a V7 chord on a 8'-4'-2'-Mix combination on the Great division for example sounding through a single pair of speakers, it sounds through 16 different speakers on our organ in a way that minimizes harmonic distortion as well as distributing the sound more. There is a lot you can do with speaker groups and routing that can be explored.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing