It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 pm

Integration Hauptwerk with Cakewalk.

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Coos Blokhuis

Integration Hauptwerk with Cakewalk.

PostSun Mar 12, 2023 10:46 am

Hi,
Has anyone managed to intergrate Hauptwerk into the new Cakewalk?
With Pianoteg 7 Stage I succeed in that migration, so that I can play my old midi files my ensemble pieces by Bach, Handel, Marcello, Soler, Pasquini and others again on my Hoffrichter console. But I would also like to be able to do it with a chest organ and there are those in Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk has a VST link, but it doesn't work in Cakewalk. I think another cunning solution will have to be devised. Who will help me. Thank you very much, Coos.

mdyde

Re: Integration Hauptwerk with Cakewalk.

PostSun Mar 12, 2023 1:37 pm

Hello Coos,

[Topic moved here.]

I don't have experience myself with modern versions of Cakewalk, and it isn't a host that we officially support, but conceivably something here might help:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20667&p=154721#p154721

mdyde wrote: I have no experience myself with Sibelius Ultimate, and I don't think we've had any feedback from other users on it. I'm not sure whether the AU or VST Links are compatibility with it, but conversely I know of no specific reason that they shouldn't be, since they adhere to the standards (e.g. the AU Link passes Apple's AU validation). Sibelius isn't a host that we officially support or test with for v5+, I'm afraid.

My quick thoughts, in case they're of any help:

- If Sibelius supports both AU and VST plug-ins and you can't get it to work with one of those two formats then you could perhaps try the other [if you're using a Mac].

- The Hauptwerk AU/VST plug-in links only allow a single instance to be loaded, so make absolutely certain that the host isn't trying to load two instances (even temporarily). E.g. try launching the host with a clean project, in case it was opening with a project that already had an instance of the plug-in loaded.

- See also the general notes in the "Hauptwerk AU/VST Link plug-in" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 264-266 in the current v7.0 version).

- If all else fails, instead of using the AU/VST plug-ins, you could potentially route MIDI from the host to Hauptwerk via macOS' built-in virtual MIDI cable functionality (the IAC Driver).

Also:

- Make sure that the plug-in is in the host's (i.e. Cakwalk's) plug-ins search path.

- Try loading an empty project in the host, in case it's trying to load multiple instances of the plug-in due to an existing project that uses it already being loaded.

- Try using the host's function to scan for plug-ins again.

- Hauptwerk's VST plug-in is in VST2 format (which almost all hosts support), not yet VST3.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rimokatolik

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 2:19 am

I have been working on just that for the past week. Actually integration with Cakewalk works fine, but I had issues with crackling sound.

In Cakewalk open Preferences dialog (Edit menu) and in VST settings (around middle of the list on the left, under File) add Hauptwerk's VST path (default is C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In). Then add Instrument track, and select Hauptwerk 64 bit, and start Hauptwerk load your instrument and make sure that in General Settings\Audio Device and Channels for output device you select Hauptwerk VST Link.

Everything should work right away. Another important detail for good sound is to ensure that Cakewalk uses ASIO and buffer size is set to the same in Hauptwerk and Cakewalk (and driver, but Cakewalk manages driver well in my case, while Haiptwerk does not). Cakewalk worked for me nicely even with WASAPI driver, however for ny audio card says that WASAPI has longer latency and supports only stereo, but that may be my card issue.

Now, I am kinda steering away from using DAW with Hauptwerk, as in my case even with another live audio app running, plus my work VM in HyperV on my laptop, Hauptwerk alone handles tutti organ with no sound glitches with buffer of 256 sample frames, however when I run it through DAW I need to increase it to 1024. I want to merge Hauptwerk with orchestral instruments, but most likely I will record audio with Hauptwerk and then import it into DAW to merge with other stuff. Still thinkering around details what is the best way to do it.

For proper understanding I am using 96KHz sampling rate and set all processes to realtime priority, that has proven to to be more important than any other setting in my case.

Coos Blokhuis

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 7:32 am

I succeeded thanks to the directions of: Rimokatolik and mdyde.
The mistake I also made is that I left the Midi-inport on the input of my sound card US.2x2HR MIDI in Hauptwerk at the General Settings. And not on Hauptwerk VST-Link. Everything now works perfectly and without any latency.
The only pity is that I have to start Hauptwerk manually. My other music program Pianoteg7 STAGE, with beautiful harpsichords and clavicords and historic pianos, does start automatically when I click on the Pianoteg7 icon in Cakewalk. But there is always something to wish for, isn't it? Thanks again for your effort, Coos :D

mdyde

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 7:50 am

Thanks, Coos. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing