It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

Muting Johannus Studio 170 internal sounds

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

paulw

Muting Johannus Studio 170 internal sounds

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:04 am

Hi,

I'm using a Johannus Studio 170 with my Hauptwerk setup and am trying to find a way of mapping the stop tabs and pistons. Problem is the lowest volume setting on the console still causes the internal stops to speak

Anyone know if it's easy to mute these?

Thank you! Paul

mnailor

Re: Muting Johannus Studio 170 internal sounds

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 am

If you're using external amplifiers for Hauptwerk, not sending it to aux input on the organ, plugging headphones into the console might turn off the internal speakers. Or disconnect the internal amp.

Otherwise, you could just use the organ's pistons with empty registrations and not use the stop tabs or drawknobs. It's not recommended to use both on a digital organ anyway because the organ's stop states end up differing from Hauptwerk's when the pistons change them in both places.

For example, a piston may turn on some of the Hauptwerk virtual organ stops while turning the same stops off on the console because of the piston's local registration setting, leaving the stop tabs unlighted when the VPO has them on. Then pressing a stop tab tries to turn on a stop that's already on, and the result depends on whether it's a toggle or stateful.

ldeutsch

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:28 am

Paul,

Most modern digital organs have a way to mute their internal voices. This allows the use of external speakers independently from the internal ones. I cannot find the owner's manual for the 170 online - but if you have it, the manual ought to mention this function. You can also contact your local Johannus dealer to answer this question.

In the absence of this, the suggestion to plug a dummy plug into the headphone jack is a good one. If this works, you could even create a switch to do the muting with a little work inside the console if you want.

I also assume you are not using the internal speaker system ro Hauptwerk - if you are, this method will likely not work...

Les

mdyde

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:42 am

[I'll move this topic to the "Audio / MIDI interfacing" section of the forum once Paul has had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

paulw

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 1:04 pm

Thank all - really appreciated! Good shout about headphones adaptor. That might be the easiest!!!!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing