It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

Using Hauptwerk over a Zoom or Skype call

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

randallschmid

Re: Organ output to Zoom

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Unfortunately your Edirol UA-25EX audio interface does not have loopback capability. When enabled, loopback sends the audio from your interface back to the computer, where it can be routed to Zoom, while still playing through your speakers. To do this right, you need a different audio interface. Virtually all consumer grade interfaces made today have this capability.

Software such as Soundflower (free) or Rogue Amoeba's "loopback 2" (the Cadillac of MAC routing s/w) can combine input from several audio sources into Zoom, including sending mono audio to Zoom from a stereo loopback from your audio interface.

Once you have these prerequisites acquired and working, since you are likely to be a Zoom client rather than the Zoom administrator/meeting organizer, you need to make sure the meeting administrator enables "original audio" and "stereo audio" on the Zoom website and enables your user id to utilize it.

I would refer you to Youtube for additional information. A search for Zoom Mac will return multiple hits.

dhm

HW and Zoom

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:03 am

Apologies if this duplicates other recent posts on this topic.

Is it possible - and if so, how easy is it - to have the HW computer (if internet-enabled) as a participant in a Zoom meeting?
I'm using Windows (choice of 7 or 10) with a variety of USB interfaces (primarily MOTU Ultralite Mk3).

Am I right in assuming that it would make no difference whether the organ were played live or recorded (since both modes would use the same audio outputs)?

Any advice gratefully received.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

Re: Using Hauptwerk over a Zoom or Skype call

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:46 am

Hello Douglas and others, I've merged the four topics on using using Hauptwerk over a Zoom or Skype call into this one topic, given the topic a representative name, moved it here, and made it 'sticky' so as to try to help people find all of the information/discussion in one place.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

randallschmid

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:01 am

Douglas,

There is a significant difference between playing live and playing a recording.

If you want to play a recording, you can simply enable 'share computer audio' in Zoom and play the wav file with a media player.

If you play live, you have to figure out if latency is a problem if you set HW's audio output to your computer's delivered sound card. You also need to determine if you need a microphone and can live with a USB headset/mic or a bluetooth headset such as an Airpod.- or whether you want to hear your playing through loudspeakers attached to your audio interface.

The best answer depends on your application and how long you intend to use it. If your audio interface supports loopback, that is the best solution since it allows you to use your ASIO driver and loudspeakers.

dhm

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks to Martin, Randall and others for all the helpful suggestions.
Much appreciated.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 9:53 am

There's a general article on using Zoom as a musician in this month's Sound on Sound magazine here: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... work-music
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Romanos

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 am

I was only able to get this work by taking physical patch cables from my line outs to my mic inputs. For some reason I just couldn't find a way to force zoom to recognize internal loopback. That said, I was able to successfully transmit relatively high-fidelity organ sound to a few friends who were happy with the end result.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing