It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

How to use the Hauptwerk VST Link Plug-in for Finale

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JonnyMusic

How to use the Hauptwerk VST Link Plug-in for Finale

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 pm

Hello Hauptwerk Forums,

I'd like to know something,

I have currently activated a 14-day trial of Hauptwerk (Advanced) so I could try to use it as a VST/AU for Finale (the score-writing/notation software I use). I've figured out how to get my MIDI keyboard to work with it, as well as figuring out how to playback my MIDI files, though the notes were only playing back on the pedals, lol, and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the midi channels. Trying to get it to work on Finale was trickier than I thought.

So I was wondering, do any you have experience with playing back general (external) MIDI files on Hauptwerk and maybe even experience with using Hauptwerk with Finale?

If so, could you please give me some insight/help me to get it set up?

If not, is there a resource (other than the Hauptwerk user manual which I do have the PDF with me) that you know of that you could direct me to it in order to help me get it set up?

Thanks. :)

mdyde

Re: How to use the Hauptwerk VST Link Plug-in for Finale

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 3:45 am

Hello JonnyMusic,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk.

Hopefully these two topics might help:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18810&p=141637#p141637

mdyde wrote:... in the case of Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player, which always uses and requires the special, fixed MIDI implementation that's described for the currently-loaded organ by the 'Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function (see also the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- page 181 in the v4.2.1 version -- and the 'MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation' section -- page 226-227).

Hence if loading a MIDI file in Hauptwerk's MIDI player you need to make sure that the file has been saved to use that specific MIDI implementation.

Alternatively, if you wanted to interface Sibelius directly to Hauptwerk (rather than using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player), see the 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the guide (pages 194-199 in the v4.2.1 version).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18721

mdyde wrote:From my (albeit very limited) knowledge of Finale, I don't think it would easily be able to edit MIDI files recorded by Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder, since notation software usually places restrictions on the MIDI implementation that can be used/supported for its files.

I would suggest either:

1. Use Finale with Hauptwerk as described in the 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 229-233 in the current v5.0.1 version). For example, you could set up a 'spare' 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration (desktop short-cut) for use with Finale. Or:

2. Use a more flexible/general-purpose MIDI sequencer application instead of Finale, such as Cubase. You could then potentially use it to open MIDI files that Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder had recorded, edit them (being careful to retain their MIDI implementations), export them as MIDI files, then open and play them in Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player. The 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk shows the MIDI implementation the the MIDI files would be in (and would need to remain in). The significant disadvantage of this approach is that you wouldn't be able to play the MIDI files from the MIDI sequencer as you edited them, so you would effectively be editing them 'blind'.

I'd recommend option 1, especially if you already have Finale and prefer to use dedicated notation software over generic MIDI sequencers.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

randallschmid

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 am

Since you are evaluating and are likely using the delivered St. Anne's sample set, I suggest the following:

1. In Hauptwerk: General Settings-->Midi Ports. Check the right side check box for "Hauptwerk VST Link" (advanced use) on both the Midi In and Midi out tabs. This will set HW to play the pedal division for notes received on channel 1, the great for channel 2 and the swell for channel 3.

2. A Google search -"how to set midi channel in Finale" - will give you the instructions how to set midi channels in Finale, which can be done by staff or by individual note.

JonnyMusic

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 5:40 pm

randallschmid wrote:Since you are evaluating and are likely using the delivered St. Anne's sample set, I suggest the following:

1. In Hauptwerk: General Settings-->Midi Ports. Check the right side check box for "Hauptwerk VST Link" (advanced use) on both the Midi In and Midi out tabs. This will set HW to play the pedal division for notes received on channel 1, the great for channel 2 and the swell for channel 3.

2. A Google search -"how to set midi channel in Finale" - will give you the instructions how to set midi channels in Finale, which can be done by staff or by individual note.

I tried out what you said, got the MIDI channels configured accordingly, and it worked! Yay! :D

Thank you so much for answering my question (as well as others who would ask the same).

Words cannot express how grateful I am for your reply. :)

randallschmid

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks Johnny. Appreciate the feedback.

JonnyMusic

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm

You're most welcome, randallschmid. Though I want to know a few more things:

1. How would I be able to change MIDI channels for one stave mid-score (like when switching one hand from the great to swell manual for example)?

2. How to get Finale to change registrations with Hauptwerk VPO mid-score?

Although I got the VST Link to work, trying to get Finale to command Hauptwerk to change registrations is another challenge. (Disclaimer, I'm yet to get the hang of how to set registrations with the St. Anne's organ that's included. The learning curve was a little steeper than I thought)

I would have alternative workarounds to make registration changes from Hauptwerk mid-score possible, though it would take more work to make it work, of course.

So I want to ask if any of you are able to answer the following for me, please do so ASAP (as soon as possible):

How can I get Finale to change registrations on Hauptwerk during any instance in the score I may be working on (this could also go for crescendo shoe control, swell shoe control, pistons, switching MIDI channels (as asked in the 1.), etc.)

If there is no such solution, the workaround I was referring to would be to record the audio from my desktop in order to achieve those effects. I have a feeling it would certainly work, though getting to know if and how Finale can control Hauptwerk more further would be appreciated.

OrganoPleno

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 pm

JonnyMusic wrote:1. How would I be able to change MIDI channels for one stave mid-score (like when switching one hand from the great to swell manual for example)?

You do this in Finale, not in Hauptwerk. For a given installed Organ, the MIDI Channels should be fixed for each division (each Keyboard). So your MIDI Software needs to transmit a given Track on a given Channel to play a given Keyboard in Hauptwerk.

What I do is to create a Track for each Staff in the Score, then make copies to represent different Manuals, then delete selected notes from each Track so that what is left is what should play on one specific Manual. Then assign MIDI Channels appropriately to each Track... and there you have it!

OrganoPleno

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 pm

JonnyMusic wrote:2. How to get Finale to change registrations with Hauptwerk VPO mid-score?

Although I do not use Finale, I get good results with other MIDI-Sequencer Software.

For Registration Changes, my approach is as follows. Create a "stack" of all Registrations to be used, in order, in the Hauptwerk Registration Stepper. Then all you need to do is press the (virtual) "Advance Stepper" button each time there is a Registration Change.

To automate this process, I set up the Organ in Hauptwerk under "MIDI Key Triggers" so that the "Stepper Plus" function can receive a secondary input as "Midi Note ON", Channel 8, "Middle C", on the appropriate MIDI Port for your Sequencer. Then in my MIDI file, I create a "Registration Track" as the only Track on Channel 8, and insert a "Middle C" at the exact time for every desired Registration Change.

For the "Continuous Controllers" such as Crescendo Shoe and Swell Shoes, my Sequencer allows input to be created either digitally (inserting MIDI values directly at specific times) or manually (drawing a curve with the Mouse to represent the appropriate Pedal Positions). Then arrange for this data to be sent to Hauptwerk on the appropriate MIDI channels, and set up Hauptwerk to receive this data on the appropriate MIDI Port.

Likewise, your Hauptwerk Keyboards probably need to be set to respond (additionally) to the MIDI Port used by your sequencer.

This could be a good start, and with a bit of practice everything can fall into place and run smoothly for you.

Good Luck!

--OrganoPleno

maestropotvin

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm

Thank you Organo Pleno.

I was looking at how to change registration from with Finale. You trick works.

To make it work howevr I need to create an extra staff where I put my note assigned to the piston in Hauptwerk.

Is there another way that would not require using notes on a staff?

Thank you,

Stephane

Jeffrey Quick

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:09 pm

I've been figuring this out over a very stressy week myself. Here's what I've learned (This is St. Anne's; other organs have slightly different setups, but there are MIDI specs for each one):

1. "Hauptwerk AU link" should appear in the Score Manager. If it does not, see: https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... PrintMusic. When it does: you will see a submenu for each staff you have in Finale. These need to have their channel set: 1 for pedals, 2 for Great, 3 for Swell. When you call up the AU Link, it defaults to channel 1, which is why you get "Everything's playing on the pedals.' Each stave ALSO has a further dropdown, accessible through the arrow to the left of "[Staff 1]". Everything here will be fine EXCEPT for "Expression", which you'll want to change to Channel 7.

2. Most of the rest of what you'll do will be in HW itself, in the Expression Designer of Finale, or in the Finale MIDI Tool.
In HW, you'll want to set combinations for your piece. If it's all on one manual with no couplers, you can do this with the organ pistons, But a finale command will apparently only change 1 manual, so you're better off setting these in master general. You'll need to have a command at each place you want a stop change, including the beginning, else the piece will open with something odd derived from the pistons or who knows where. To do these commands, you'll use a symbol (dynamics work well), or even a blank, and set its playback as "patch-program change, program change, [# of master general]". Unlike the stepper, you can go backwards on these as well.

Swell pedal is on Channel 3 Go "MIDI Tool-continuous data" and set controller as 11. Select a beat, and go "MIDI Tool - set to" and put in a number from 0 to 127. Or you can select a region and choose "scale" where you can have a chunk of swell space distributed so many numbers per beat.

Crescendo is controller 9, You'll need to type it in, as it's not pre-specified in Finale. This works just like the swell.

Now, what I need to know is: how to change channels mid-stream. But that's another post.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing