It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

How to connect 3 MIDI keyboards to a 1 input MIDI interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

adelaideviewer

How to connect 3 MIDI keyboards to a 1 input MIDI interface

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 3:09 am

Hi all,

I thought I understood this topic but can't get a successful outcome.
I've successfully used a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface with my Mac and had thought I read it was OK with the new Mac Big Sur OS. Unfortunately not. So I resorted to my Prosonus Studio 24 which did get updated Big Sur drivers.

My issue now is that the Prosonus only has 1 MIDI input, so is it possible to daisy chain my 3 keyboards and pedals into that 1 input.

2 of my keyboards (Korg M1, Roland XV 88) do have MIDI THRU.

I've watched a few videos online of various suggestions but I always find that people rabbit on a bit and don't provide a clear concise explanation.

My set up is:
Manual 1: M Audio Keystation (with MIDI out only)
Manual 2: Korg M1 Synth (MIDI in, out, thru)
Manual 3: Roland XV 88 Keyboard (MIDI in, out through)
Pedals: MIDI out.

Thanks for any advice.
Regards
Stuart

ReinerS

Re: How to connect 3 MIDI keyboards to a 1 input MIDI interf

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 am

Hello,
I do not think this is possible at all!
The MIDI-Thru function is simply to make the signal from the MIDI-In available at the MIDI-Thru (which is an output), so the same MIDI signal can easily be routed to a number of devices. However, the MIDI-Thru output does NOT contain the signal from the keyboard itself, the MIDI-IN and the keyboard MIDI signals are not merged!
There is therefore no way to connect three sources to a single input, regardless of the availability of MIDI-Thru on them. What you would need are MIDI merger boxes, or a MIDI interface with three MIDI-In ports.

Best regards
Reiner

mdyde

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 5:33 am

Hello Stuart,

To confirm Reiner's reply, yes -- it isn't in general possible to connect multiple MIDI devices to a single computer MIDI IN port (unless you use a MIDI merge device and set all of the devices to use different MIDI channels). MIDI THRU ports are designed to be used for MIDI OUT from the computer, not MIDI IN.

A multi-port MIDI interface is best, such as your Microlite.

I see that MOTU's current MIDI driver is stated as being compatible with up to macOS 10.15, although they do also have this 'tech note' entry about macOS 11. Not sure whether that's relevant to their MIDI driver:

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... =big%20sur

If not, you could perhaps try contacting MOTU to see when they expect to have a driver available for their MIDI interfaces for macOS 11 ('Big Sur'), or whether it's possible to get their current driver to work on it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

adelaideviewer

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 5:50 am

Thank you Reiner and Martin - both great points and clear to understand!

Yes I think I will need to wait for Big Sur drivers for the Microlite - hopefully enough people in the world are using them that it shouldn't be too far off!

I guess if I am desperate I could downgrade Big Sur - but that may be more pain than it's worth.

Cheers again and best wishes for the New Year!

Regards
Stuart

mdyde

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 6:17 am

Thanks, Stuart. Very best wishes for New Year to you too.
Best regards, Martin.

larason2

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 9:05 pm

You could try a product like this:

https://www.avshop.ca/recording-midi-interfaces/midi-solutions-multivoltage-quadra-merge?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S4DpiIkimK4RgPEzfYepnYcF2ysMiuzXaZePF7HPcrEcpq5oswPzVQaAl-kEALw_wcB

Midi solutions has a good reputation, and their products work well, but they are pricey. Also, you would be limited to connecting only the Midi outs of your respective instruments to it, and the out of the unit goes to your midi port. Given how expensive it is, I would also recommend waiting for the Motu. If you’re very programming and tech savvy, you could also make a 3 way merger using an arduino Mega and the appropriate connectors. That’s out of the realm of most consumers though.

8ftStop

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 am

I have a MIDI Solutions QuadraMerge I can sell you for $30 plus postage. I have no idea what it would cost to ship to you.
Scott Duncan (8ftstop)

adelaideviewer

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 pm

Hello all,

I've put a new topic posting above to say that I've managed to get success with MOTU interface and Big Sur using a workaround posted on the MOTUNATION forum.

Might be worth a look at if anyone wants to try it given that MOTU are not giving any timeline on when their interfaces will be compatible with Big Sur.

Happy organing.

Stuart

mdyde

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 4:12 am

adelaideviewer wrote:I've put a new topic posting above to say that I've managed to get success with MOTU interface and Big Sur using a workaround posted on the MOTUNATION forum.

Might be worth a look at if anyone wants to try it given that MOTU are not giving any timeline on when their interfaces will be compatible with Big Sur.

This is a link to that relevant topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19415
Best regards, Martin.

craigpfeiffer

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 11:13 am

I may not be understanding this discussion, and if so, my apologies. For over 10 years I've daisy chained my two CMK manuals and classic organ works pedalboard with two swell peddles into the midi in on my Profire 610. I have had the occassional cipher, and believe I once read this may be due to diasy chaining rather that using a dedicated midi interface. Now I am getting ready to upgrade the whole system to HW6, and get 2021 hardware, as well as add a manual. Am I going to have trouble if I try to daisy chain everything? If I need to get a separate midi interface, which ones are good?
Thanks, Craig

mdyde

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 am

Hello Craig,

Although chaining MIDI devices via 'MID IN' isn't officially part of the MIDI standard, some devices do support doing so as an extension to the standard, including, as I understand, Classic MIDI Works devices. If it works reasonably well for you currently (when chaining via the CMKs), there's no reason that it shouldn't continue to work equally well (if still chaining via the CMKs) if simply changing the audio/MIDI interface, and/or computer, and/or Hauptwerk version.

Edit: P.S. If you do instead want to get a multi-port MIDI interface (which might help to avoid your existing ciphers), then the MOTU Microlite is the most popular amongst Hauptwerk users, which is well-buffered and well-proven. See also this topic, though:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18325&p=138108#p138108

(Also, I don't know off-hand whether MOTU yet have a MIDI driver for macOS 11 'Big Sur'.)
Best regards, Martin.

jkinkennon

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 pm

The mio4 or mioXM from iConnectivity is said to be class-compatible so would avoid the driver issues.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm

It might be worth checking the information about this device. I used a much earlier iConnectivity device that was surprisingly versatile and worked well. The mioXM appears to be an improved version at a slightly higher price. These units offer connections over ethernet as well as USB-MIDI between up to four computers.

craigpfeiffer

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Valuable info, thanks!

engrssc

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 1:05 am

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing