It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

Midi and audio interfaces with OS11 Big Sur

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

k2bhm

Midi and audio interfaces with OS11 Big Sur

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 am

I'm sure I'm not the only person in Hauptwerkland to have upgraded for whatever reason, to the new Mac OS, Big Sur, and to have found that their firewire Audio interface and Midi interface are not compatible. I know there is a programming work-around for the MOTU Microlite MIDI interface, but would prefer to upgrade both my interfaces anyway.
If anyone has been down this road, can they possibly suggest suitable hardware? I only need a 3 channel MIDI interface and I just use a single set of monitor speakers and headphones.....
Any suggestions gratefully received!

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Midi and audio interfaces with OS11 Big Sur

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 am

Good morning,

You can look at Focusrite products - see Focusrite product compatibility with macOS 11 "Big Sur" on Intel-based systems or Focusrite product compatibility with macOS 11 "Big Sur" on Apple Silicon-based systems

You can also easily "google" by typing the name of the manufacturer like this: "Presonus Big sur", "M-Audio Big sur"....
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

k2bhm

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks, Francois. Audio interface is the easy bit. Finding a Midi interface is proving to be much harder.
Any suggestions for a comparable Midi interface?

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi,

Can't you simply chain your MIDI devices (meaning only 1 MIDI in is needed for your 3 MIDI devices) and connect the chain "OUT" to the audio interface MIDI IN (Most of those audio interfaces as a built-in MIDI interface - in/out)
Best regards
François

larason2

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 12:56 pm

I have been using my Steinberg UR22 with Big Sur since launch, and although I don’t think it is officially supported yet, it is working well. I have used it with Midi and audio out, and so far no problems. I agree the wait for compatible drivers is getting a bit long!

k2bhm

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 1:56 pm

I didn't think I could just chain all 3 keyboards, pedal and swell pedal together into 1 Midi input.....

The Steinberg sounds interesting.....do you have many channels going into one Midi input`?

I had always thought that a load of midi channels going in one direction from interface to PC/Mac, while the audio input was going in the other direction from PC/Mac to Audio interface wouldn't work. Am I totally wrong?

k2bhm

Mac OS Big Sur and Midi interface

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm

I've tried this question already, but I'm going to try again using different, and fewer words.....
Is there a Midi interface out there that will work with Mac OS Big Sur, off the shelf?

mdyde

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello k2bhm,

k2bhm wrote:I didn't think I could just chain all 3 keyboards, pedal and swell pedal together into 1 Midi input.....

Chaining MIDI devices on the 'MIDI input' side (going into the computer) isn't officially allowed within the MIDI standard, but some devices do support it, as an extension: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19389
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 2:44 pm

k2bhm wrote:I've tried this question already, but I'm going to try again using different, and fewer words.....

Hello k2bhm,

I've merged your two forum topics on this subject together, so that people can find all of the relevant details and replies, without unnecessarily duplicating others' replies. (For future reference, please try only to post a topic once -- it helps other people and you're also more likely to get useful replies that way. Many thanks.)

If you want to edit the title of your original post in this topic then you could do that, and it would change the title of the topic accordingly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 pm

The Steinberg UR22 only has one Midi input, but in my tests, all the different control channels are coming through fine. If you merge the messages before they arrive at the unit, then theoretically it should be able to connect more than one midi device. There are commercial midi merger units available, or you could make one out of an arduino mega if you have the technical skills. (You would need the midi plugs and an optocoupler for the midi in with appropriate resistors)

larason2

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 2:55 pm

Sorry, just saw the second part of your question. The UR22 has always done midi in and audio out flawlessly at the same time. USB2 has more than enough bandwidth to do this, but with older protocols, it might not have been possible.

RaymondList

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Here is a listing of device manufacturers and if they are compatible with Big Sur (scroll down a little).

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... ility-List

Supposedly, Focusrite Scarlett devices are compatible, but I have no experience with them.
Ray

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 pm

I didn't think I could just chain all 3 keyboards, pedal and swell pedal together into 1 Midi input.....

As I wrote, "Can't you simply chain your MIDI devices..." . Not knowing your MIDI components it may or may not be possible. For example CMK/Fatar keyboards can be chained together with the pedalboard and swell pedal. So a 3/4 manuals console with a pedalboard and 3 swell pedals will only need 1 MIDI connection.¸

If you're using CMK keyboards/pedalboard simply daisy chain as follow. (Note that each manual *must* have its own MIDI channel - For example pedalboard = Midi channel 1, lower manual=2, middle=3 & top = 4).

Pedalboard OUT to top manual IN
Top manual OUT to middle manual IN
Middle manual OUT to lower manual IN
Lower manual OUT to Audio interface or MIDI interface IN. *

* If your keyboards also has a USB connector, you can connect Lower manual USB to computer.

Check the documentation of your MIDI devices to see what is possible.
Best regards
François

Theorbe

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am

Deleted by author.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing