It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

Auto-Detect MIDI Setting for Keyboards

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

philiphart

Auto-Detect MIDI Setting for Keyboards

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm

AutoDetect assigns the Lowest note to the right end of the keyboard rather than the correct left end. Manually entering the data rather than using Auto Detect doesn't help. All four keyboards have been Midi-fied using Roman Sowa's HALKA hall effect sensors. The other three keyboards were detected just fine with Auto Detect, with the lowest note on the left and the highest not at the right end.

Ideas??

Phil

murph

Re: Auto-Detect MIDI Setting for Keyboards

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 2:17 pm

It sounds like you put the sensor strip on the wrong way. Use Midi-ox or Midi-monitor to see what notes your keyboards are out-putting.

philiphart

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks for your thoughts. The HALKA specs state: "the order of notes is user configurable. It can go up or down, so it's possible to install HALKA with cable on the left or right side of the keyboard." This leads me to look for a software configuration issue rather than a reversed installation of the HALKA sensor strips. That said, I remain open to all suggestions and will check out the MIDI out-putting of the keyboards.

GrahamH

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 1:11 pm

IDC connector mounted wrong way round on flat cable?

philiphart

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 3:20 pm

The interconnection cables have 4 discrete color coded wires rather than flat ribbon cable. However I just checked the connectors for any mis-wiring and found none.

Thanks for the thought as it prompted me to look at something I would have otherwise passed over!

GrahamH

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 am

Are you using Roman Sowa's MIDI encoder boards?
My recollection is that they might deliver the correct MIDI messages "straight out of the box" if you are lucky. On the other hand, you might need to configure the scanner so that it recognises the starting note and the layout of you keyboard's wiring matrix.
Full instructions are given in the little booklet that comes with the scanner, and you can use the first few notes of your MIDI keyboard to program the scanner so that is delivers the correct MIDI messages.
If you don't have a user manual, I think you can download one from Roman's website.

Graham

philiphart

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 9:57 am

Problem Solved: Thanks to all responded, much appreciated. The ever-helpful Roman Sowa offered: #922 will reverse the note order (#921 is the default). It may, additionally, be helpful to reset Middle C (#1-Key) and in HW an Auto-Detect MIDI.
Roman's company midi-hardware.com has been a good source of reliable easy-to-use components. It's a small company so if there are temporary unavailabilities it is worth the wait.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing