It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

AudioFire12 Failing Need New Solution

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

orgatrain

AudioFire12 Failing Need New Solution

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 10:53 am

Hi All I have been using AudioFire12's forever and as you may know they are no longer available - what is the next best thing to use out there for a 9 channel instrument?

magnaton

Re: AudioFire12 Failing Need New Solution

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Here is a quick list for replacements:
MOTU - Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
PreSonus - Studio 1824c
Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20

The MOTU offers 14 discreet channels and has built in EQ if you desire. From my experience, the other two brands had 2 outputs hardwired to the headphone jack. For example the Focusrite model had the headphone jack monitoring outputs number 3 & 4. If you don't ever use headphones then you are okay. Otherwise the headphone 'mixdown' is duplicated in channels 3 & 4! The Presonus model has 8 outputs plus Main L & R which adds up to 10. Need to check the manual to see if the Mains are independent are just a duplicate of 2 of the other outputs.

Danny B.

larason2

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 2:31 pm

To add to the above, the Steinberg UR816C also has 10 1/4 inch outputs plus more available through optical as well. I have a UR22 and I have been very happy with it for many years. Moving up the price range is the MOTU 24A0, which many forum members use and are happy with, but it has 24 outs (not 1/4 inch), so good if you plan on any future expansion.

dcaton

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:33 am

larason2 wrote:Moving up the price range is the MOTU 24A0, which many forum members use and are happy with, but it has 24 outs (not 1/4 inch), so good if you plan on any future expansion.

I'll second the Motu 24ao recommendation, if you ever think you're going to expand the number of outputs you use. It's pricey but I chose it because it was the only interface that didn't have inputs (which I will never need) and it's unlikely I'll ever outgrow it.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing