It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

Recording Hauptwerk directly into Studio One DAW

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

bh66

Recording Hauptwerk directly into Studio One DAW

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:17 am

Is there a way to record Hauptwerk audio (not MIDI) directly into Studio One DAW?
I've found the Reaper instructions but doesn't really help me.
Thanks!

mdyde

Re: Recording Hauptwerk directly into Studio One DAW

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 am

Hello bh66,

You could:

- In Hauptwerk, set Hauptwerk's audio output device to be the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link (instead of your audio interface directly).
- In your DAW, make sure that all MIDI ports are disabled (so that they don't conflict with Hauptwerk).
- In your DAW, load exactly one instance of the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link plug-in.
- In your DAW, set the audio output device to be your audio interface.

Hauptwerk will then play its audio output through your DAW, which you could record within the DAW.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 am

P.S. See also the 'MIDI sequencing, the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link and applying external real-time effects plug-ins: Using an AU/VST host to apply real-time effects to Hauptwerk’s output' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 240 in the current v6.0.1 version) for more details.
Best regards, Martin.

bh66

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! I can now record one of my keyboards in the DAW, but not all 3 with pedals for some reason.
I can see the signal in the meters from all keyboards but can only record one of the keyboards. Please let me know if you know of a solution and I'll keep researching as well.
Thanks!
BH

mdyde

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Hello BH,

Assuming you're referring specifically to recording audio (not MIDI), and that you have the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link selected as the audio output device in Hauptwerk, by default (i.e. with default audio mixer and audio routing settings in Hauptwerk) all of Hauptwerk's audio output will be sent through channels 1 and 2 of the AU/VST Link. Hence you just need to record the AU/VST Link's channels 1 and 2 (i.e. the default stereo channel pair) in your DAW.

So as to eliminate MIDI from the equation, try just using the mouse to turn some stops on in Hauptwerk, and click on the virtual keys. You should hear all of the sounds from Hauptwerk (irrespective of their division) through your DAW.

If not, then either:

1. Make sure that you don't have multi-channel/surround/3D audio configured in Hauptwerk, or:
2. If you do use multi-channel/surround/3D audio then make sure that you enable all of the relevant audio channels of the AU/VST Link plug-in within your DAW, so that you can hear them all through it. (I have no experience with Studio One myself, but when inserting a multi-channel AU/VST plug-in in your DAW's project it would probably ask you whether to enable all of the plug-in's audio channels, or just the first/default stereo channel pair.)
Best regards, Martin.

pasterkamp

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 5:11 am

mdyde wrote:Hello BH,

Assuming you're referring specifically to recording audio (not MIDI), and that you have the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link selected as the audio output device in Hauptwerk, by default (i.e. with default audio mixer and audio routing settings in Hauptwerk) all of Hauptwerk's audio output will be sent through channels 1 and 2 of the AU/VST Link. Hence you just need to record the AU/VST Link's channels 1 and 2 (i.e. the default stereo channel pair) in your DAW.

So as to eliminate MIDI from the equation, try just using the mouse to turn some stops on in Hauptwerk, and click on the virtual keys. You should hear all of the sounds from Hauptwerk (irrespective of their division) through your DAW.

If not, then either:

1. Make sure that you don't have multi-channel/surround/3D audio configured in Hauptwerk, or:
2. If you do use multi-channel/surround/3D audio then make sure that you enable all of the relevant audio channels of the AU/VST Link plug-in within your DAW, so that you can hear them all through it. (I have no experience with Studio One myself, but when inserting a multi-channel AU/VST plug-in in your DAW's project it would probably ask you whether to enable all of the plug-in's audio channels, or just the first/default stereo channel pair.)

i have the exact same but i have a RME ucx. there is loopback on it. so i enable loopback on two adat channels i am not using. then I add the hardware moderate channels to the adat channel. I select this adat channel in my audio recorder. and it records the channels you have assigned very easily. I also use it for the OBS software to stream. and you can pre-listen to what it sounds like with your headphones.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing