It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:54 pm

Best keyboard to replicate Allen action?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Bailiwick

Best keyboard to replicate Allen action?

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I'm newish to the organ and even newer to Hauptwerk. My church organ is an Allen Renaissance. I'm finding that the action on my Behringer U-Control UMX610 keyboards at home is so mushy that it's making my admittedly muddy finger technique sound even worse on fast runs.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard that would feel more like a typical Allen?

mdyde

Re: Best keyboard to replicate Allen action?

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:25 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 am

Hello Bail¡
As you perhaps know, Allen offers two keyboards. Standard and Premium. Your advanced Allen organ should have Premium, and ,as Allen says, this type is the envy of the industry, because they are really good. Standard is the less expensive Fatar (italian) keyboard. I have played both and the difference is very noticeable.

The most similar to Premium I found at a reasonable price was Fatar TP 60 LW with wood on naturals (strangely, the wood covers make a lot of difference with plastic covers) . See http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_60LW.htm

I got them from: https://us.midiworks.ca/index.php/produ ... ory&path=1
Regards,
Luis

smfrank

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 11:11 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:Allen offers two keyboards. Standard and Premium.

Allen calls the Fatar keyboards "Industry Standard" as opposed to their own factory made Premium keys. The former have only been offered for a few years and a result of cheaper competitors. "Industry Standard" refers to the idea that everyone else uses them which puts Allen at a price disadvantage. Top quality costs money. It's amazing how many people ignore quality and only look at price.
Steve
Steven Frank

larason2

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 4:01 am

There are no inexpensive options that simulate Allen’s classic wood core keyboards. There are a number of European and American keyboard builders that build wood core keyboards, but not all of them would come MIDI ready, and most of them would be quite expensive. Sometimes you can find keyboards out of an old organ consoleon EBay or Kijiji, but they tend to get snapped up pretty quickly. I’m not sure if PedaMidiKit in Italy uses wood core, but it seems like they do on their website. If you have the technical skills, you can look into getting an old Allen console organ and converting it to Hauptwerk. That’s what I’m doing with an old Allen I found, and I’m very happy with the results so far. I posted my circuit design so far on Arduino’s project Hub. https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/La ... _&offset=3

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing