It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

PeterD

Focusrite scarlett 2i2

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Following a rather tardy upgrade to HW5 and WIN10 I’ve had to finally ditch my EMU1820M as not supported in Win 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 seemed a good choice as Intend to play through headphones. Install proceeded well and I was able to load focusrite Asio driver, but NO sound. I had taken the precaution of disabling Direct Sound and EmU drivers, the latter reported by Windows as creative Asio driver disabled. When HW loads Green Audio light comes on, however no sound, checked by headphones in monitor function. In the large floating panels for MIDI and Audio there are no green bars showing for audio. Also checked playing a CD and again no sound. It’s faintly possible the unit is U/S but more likely operator error so what have I missed.? Any help would be much appreciated. I thought after the nightmare of Patchmix I thought Focusrite would be easy so any help would be much appreciated
In anticipation
Thanks
Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Focusrite scarlett 2i2

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Hello Peter,

Your new device is probably not selected in Hauptwerk audio configuration. Go to General settings | Audio Device... and select in Audio outputdevice dropdown list ASIO: Focusrite USB ASIO or something similar.

You should then go to General Settings | Audio Mixer... and make sure that Mxr prst 1: *Mst mix bus 1.. channel(s) is set to Stereo 0001/0002 and the same thing for Mxr prst 1: *Mst mix bus 2... (also set to 0001/0002).
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

randallschmid

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Your key comment is CD audio does not work. Focusrite requires mixer software that must be downloaded from the Focusrite site. Did you follow their instructions? If you can’t play an mp3 or CD, you need to start there and then look at HW.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Your key comment is CD audio does not work. Focusrite requires mixer software that must be downloaded from the Focusrite site.

As Peter said "Install proceeded well and I was able to load focusrite Asio driver,. The Focusrite installation package installs the drivers and the mixer.

For the CD, he will need to select is "Output device" in Windows 10 Settings | System | Sound | and select is Asio: Focusrite.
Best regards
François

PeterD

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:16 am

Hello Francois
Thanks for your input
[
You should then go to General Settings | Audio Mixer... and make sure that Mxr prst 1: *Mst mix bus 1.. channel(s) is set to Stereo 0001/0002 and the same thing for Mxr prst 1: *Mst mix bus 2... (also set to 0001/0002).

Did all this in Audio Mixer and the difference is that the Audio strip in the large floating panels shows activity now when several stop pulled and also acted as normal showing clipping if db trim reduced- But no sound from the headphone jack regardless whether I have Direct output selected or not.

{Playing a CD The only Audio output available is "Focusright USBAudio" (which I guess I would expect rather than ASIO)
The volume strip shows activity but again no output to headphones.
SO in both cases I am getting indications of audio output but no sound actually being produced. I have tried with different headphones - just the same. [My conclusion is that the box is U/S unless you can think of anything else
thanks again A reboot did not change anything
Peter

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 am

Hi,

Have you turned to the max the volume knob (above the headphones jack) and the monitor knob (the large knob)?. Are you using an adaptor (1/4 to 1/8) to connect your headphones? (often these adaptors are faulty).

Have you tried to connect your headphones in one of the 2 outputs (where we normally connect monitor speakers).

Since you're getting indications of audio output,

Would be surprised that your 2i2 is defective...

Keep me posted.
Best regards
François

IainStinson

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:52 am

You've probably done this, but make sure the direct monitor switch is set to be off otherwise the outputs are taken from the device’s microphone inputs.
Iain

PeterD

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi Francois, I've explored all your suggestions sadly still relentlessly silent. Here is a screenshot of my audio routing page.. the syntax wasn't quite as you said but logically the same..here, I see MIX PRST 3 gives similar Main/headphones settings ?
but thought I'd check with you
Still no sound heard although HW indicates sound is behaving normally.
The only other thing that occurs to me is that the USB socket I'm using ( just for convenience in this " test phase") is an auxiliary one on the touch screen - but the 2i2 set up normally so I'm not sure whether this is relevant.
I'm bound to remark that I never had problems with soundcards in HW4 - there is a considerably greater complexity in HWV so if anything else comes to mind I should love to hear your thoughts
Iain thanks for your inputs as well

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi,

You're settings seems ok (your mix2 is set to route the audio to 1-2), also, as you previously wrote you see audio activity in the Focusrite Mixer so Hauptwerk is transmitting to your interface. When playing in Hauptwerk and if you enlarge the Hauptwerk mixer window you will need the Green an Red activity lights for each bus... for the headphones (and other buses) iy should be ON or flashing ON/OFF depending on the activities. Yours are, I'm sure, ON or flashing indicating that Hauptwerk is sending audio to the selected channels.

In my previous email I was asking if you were using an adaptor for your headphones? (1/8 to 1/4 adaptors are often troublesome. Make sure that the problem is not with the adaptor) Also asked to try to connect the headphones to the rear (speakers) connections on your Focusrite (will be in mono, but this is for testing purposes). Finally, asked if you turned up the volume (monitor and the one for the headphones).

Also as Ian said, have you tried the various "Direct monitor" positions just to see if this change something. Wasn't aware about that switch on the 2i2 (I've been using 4i4, 4i6 and 18i20 and we find no such switch on those interfaces).

Also, it is not your USB connector, if it was faulty, Hauptwerk wouldn't "see" the device.

Keep us posted.
Best regards
François

mdyde

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 am

Hello Peter,

To add to Francois and others' replies, a quick way to make sure that your Hauptwerk settings aren't the cause of the problem would be to:

- Exit Hauptwerk.

- Launch it via 'spare' one of the 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configurations (desktop shortcuts).

- Use 'File | Revert all settings to defaults'. Hauptwerk will exit.

- Re-launch that same 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration.

- Select your audio interface's ASIO driver on the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen.

- Leave all other settings at their defaults.

- Load St. Anne's.

- Use the mouse to turn on some stops and click on some keys.

Hauptwerk would then (given that all audio routing/channel settings will be at their defaults) be playing the sound through your audio interface's channels 1 and 2. If you still can't hear anything through those two audio interface channels then the problem definitely isn't due to any incorrect setting in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PeterD

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am

Hello Francois
I'm just waiting for delivery of some mono jacks to test the normal outputs However the red /green bus activity lights on the Mixer page show green input but no output (red light out).I'm sure both sets of headphones are working as I used them on my HW4 setup taking output from my 1820M and they do have the size adapter. Is no red light a HW issue or a
2i2 problem ? BTW the audio activity was noted in the AUdio/midi Large floating panels in HW rather than in Focusrite
Thanks

Peter
Hello Martin

Sorry missed your post when replying to Francois. With HW config2 loaded in factory defaults and Focus-rite Asio loaded and midi reset there is no difference in behaviours. Sound activity strip in large floating panels shows increasing levels up to clipping as more stops pulled/notes played and Dbtrim reduced but no sound heard and the red /green bus activity lights on the Mixer page show green input steady but no output (red light out). I notice the top5 green lights are on, all red lights out
So I guess HW's not the culprit
Many thanks
Peter
Last edited by PeterD on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am

Hello Peter,

On Hauptwerk's mixer screen, the green 'input' activity LED lights for any given bus if the bus is receiving audio, and the red 'output' LED lights if audio device channels (or sends) are also enabled for the bus, i.e. if the bus is sending the bus's audio output somewhere (to your audio interface and/or to another bus). If the green LED lights but not the red then check that you have audio device channels selected for the bus.

Note that the LEDs are fairly small and dim (just in case the relevant LED is lighting up after all).

Trying the test I suggested (factory-default settings in a 'spare' configuration) is probably the quickest way to determine whether the problem is due to any setting in Hauptwerk or not. The configurations have independent settings, hence doing that test won't lose any settings in any other configuration.
Best regards, Martin.

PeterD

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks Martin
if the bus is sending the bus's audio output somewhere (to your audio interface and/or to another bus).

SO how do I ensure bus sends are to my interface - if that light is out, This would seem to be the nub of the problem ?
thanks again
Peter

our posts seem to be crossing

mdyde

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 am

Hello Peter,

PeterD wrote:With HW config2 loaded in factory defaults and Focus-rite Asio loaded and midi reset there is no difference in behaviours. Sound activity strip in large floating panels shows increasing levels up to clipping as more stops pulled/notes played and Dbtrim reduced but no sound heard and the red /green bus activity lights on the Mixer page show green input steady but no output (red light out). I notice the top5 green lights are on, all red lights out

With all default settings (as would be the case after resetting to factory defaults), the red LED will definitely light up for 'master mix bus 1' (the main stereo output bus). I think you'll find that it does, it's just that it can be a bit hard to see. (In retrospect, perhaps we should have made the red colours a bit more different between on and off states.) Try clicking on different bus (e.g. master mix bus 3, so that master mix bus 1 doesn't show as selected in blue) -- you will probably be able to see the state of the red LED for master mix 1 more clearly then.

PeterD wrote:SO how do I ensure bus sends are to my interface - if that light is out,

It's the 'Audio output device channels' setting (in the right-hand pane) for the selected bus. However, as above, I think you'll find that the red LED actually is lighting up anyway (and certainly so with factory defaults, in your config 2) -- have another look at that LED in config 2.
Best regards, Martin.

PeterD

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 am

HI Martin
Yes the gray select bar does tend to obscure the bus lights.. I've moved the select down and both green and red lights are showing clearly. but no difference to actual audio output. Should have some mono jacks shortly . will then be able to check normal output to amp. also tried line/instr options with same result.

if the bus out is lit then it must be pointing to the serviceability of the 2i2 ?
Peter
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing