It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:43 am

Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Focusrite scarlett 2i2

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks, Peter.

PeterD wrote:if the bus out is lit then it must be pointing to the serviceability of the 2i2 ?

With all-default settings (as would be the case in your 'alt config 2' test) Hauptwerk would definitely be sending the audio to the device's channels 1+2, so yes -- if you still aren't hearing anything then something external to Hauptwerk (e.g. within the audio device, or its driver, or some setting on its control panel, or some audio cabling) must be causing the problem.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PeterD

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 am

Last edited by PeterD on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

PeterD

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:29 am

HI Martin/Francoise
I think I might have missed the elephant in the room. The front face of the 2i2 has two gain knobs which are surrounded by so called Halo lights. In normal operation they show green with increased gain and red when clipping occurs,. although these illuminate briefly on start up (red and Green) they do not function when HW is running - advancing gain shows no green light and by producing clipping in HW as evidenced in the large floating panel there is no corresponding red-light similarly turning volume up for CD playing has no effect. Either the unit is receiving no signal - unlikely as bus out lights on mixer panel showing red or the signal is not being processed ( pre amps u/s)
I shall return this unit and get another one and then with all HW settings correct all I should need is to plug a new one in
Many thanks to both for all your help... usual excellent Customer Service

Peter

mdyde

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:31 am

Thanks very much, Peter.

Hope it gets resolved easily.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PeterD

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:47 am

Here is the blurb on focusrite Halo lights
Gain Halos are a signature feature of the Scarlett range of USB interfaces. They surround the gain controls and provide a clear status of the signal level, by glowing a different colour depending on the amplitude of the incoming signal.

Until recently, Gain Halo colours have been fixed, following the ‘traffic light’ colour scheme: green to indicate good signal level; amber for pre-clip and red when clipping. Now, Gain Halos can be customised to a choice of seven colours for each meter state.

RaymondList

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:43 am

I'm not at all familiar with the Scarlett interfaces, but aren't those gain knobs and halos only for the mic inputs????
Ray

randallschmid

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am

Yes, those knobs and corresponding halos are for the front panel inputs. Audio from the computer comes through the USB connection. The USB (labeled DAW) level is controlled in Focusrite's controller mixer software.

The back panel outputs are output 1/2 and the headphone jack is output 3/4. You need to make sure you have enabled 3/4 (i.e. not muted and volume level slider not at zero) in the Focusrite Controller software and that you have routed the computer (DAW) input to outputs 3/4. Also make sure the default mix in the Controller S/W is not set to 'direct sound'. This is different than the front panel switch.

If you still do not get output through the headphone jack from any input source (CD, Youtube, etc), I would contact Focusrite support.

PeterD

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks Randall that’s cleared that up the Bus output red lights on the HW mixer panel are only alight when 2i2 is connected to the USB. I’ll try and get a screenshot of the focusright controller software to see i where I’m going wrong

Thanks for your input

Cheers

Peter

PeterD

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:03 am

The back panel outputs are output 1/2 and the headphone jack is output 3/4. You need to make sure you have enabled 3/4 (i.e. not muted and volume level slider not at zero) in the Focusrite Controller software and that you have routed the computer (DAW) input to outputs 3/4. Also make sure the default mix in the Controller S/W is not set to 'direct sound'. This is different than the front panel switch.
I'm having some difficulty accessing the settings on Focusrite controller 2i2 Gen3. In the screen shot if I click on input settings nothing happens. The sync light is showing green but clicking on output settings simply says not supported on this device The HW audio routings panel is correct I think with both input and output busses lit
the sticking point is accessing the focusrite control controller which is the up to date version. Any inputs/help would be much appreciated .. having wrestled with Patchmix for a number of years I did rather expect a simple stereo device to be straightforward :cry:

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 am

I have used a Focusrite Pro40 and Focusrite 2i4 device with Hauptwerk.

The Pro40 used drivers and a mixer app which controlled the routing of the DAW outputs to the physical outputs on the back of the box. (It could do more but this was not useful with HW).

If I remember correctly the smaller box did not need anything other than the drivers. Looking at the Manual for the 2i2 this is similar. My 2i4 is on loan at present so I can’t try it again.

My understanding is that the phones output is not independent, but a copy of the output from the DAW outputs 1 & 2 (provided you set the direct monitoring control to be off (otherwise it is a mix of the DAW 1&2 output and the inputs to the unit.) You will only see DAW1&2 ASIO outputs.

On Windows, I would try using the device outside HW.

I would uninstall all the software delivered using the uninstall options. Reboot. Install the software again. Connect the Device. Open the Windows Volume Mixer (right click on the speaker icon in the rhs system tray). In the Volume Mixer, click on the down arrow where is says “speakers”. Select the 2i2’s ASIO outputs to be used rather than the system default (which is probably the internal sound system). Try playing the something with the media player, connect headphones to the 2i2 and adjust the controls. If this does not work then I would suggest calling emailing Focusrite support. If it does work then in the Volume Mixer, restore the selection to the original built in sound system, and try the device with Hauptwerk.

I would keep clear of as much of their control software as I could, but you probably have to use the control application they provide to change buffer sizes etc to match what HW thinks they are (I found that the Focusrite did not always match the settings in I wanted in Hauptwerk).

Before doing this, check that Windows has not assigned the 2i2 as the default system sound output device, if it has change this in the Volume Mixer. Hauptwerk will not be able to use the device if Windows has taken it for system use

Good luck

Iain.

randallschmid

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 11:25 am

Below is a link to the Focusrite Controller manual.

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... e_EN_0.pdf

Page 22 has a screen snapshot of how the headphone outputs (3/4) should look. The manual is for all models of the Scarlett series. Thus the illustration shows more hardware inputs and outputs than the 2 inputs and 2 outputs that you have.

The screen snap that you provided is of the 'input' tab. You want to be on the 'output' tab to see which inputs are routed to the headphone output. You should see the level meter on 'Computer/DAW' move when your computer is playing audio, and the Headphone (3/4) meter move assuming the levels are up and not muted.

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm

At the beginning of the Guide referred to by randallscmid it says on page 3
NOTE: Scarlett 2i2 and Solo Users only
Although software control is limited in these models, installation of Focusrite Control is still necessary to enable full device functionality at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, and also to permit firmware updates. However, for general operation, you do not need have Focusrite Control running on your computer in order to use the hardware interface. Note that additional software controlled features will become available in the future

and none of the tables include the 2i2. I don’t think the device has 4 Daw outputs, It is a 2 in and 2 out unit.

(On the 2i4 you can select if the headphones is a copy of outputs 1//2 or 3/4.)

Anyhow,PeterD will find out how many there are when he gets it going. Any sound out of the unit would be good news.

Iain

PeterD

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks Randal and Iain for all your wisdom and inputs. My problem is I cannot get into the output page as when I go there it said this not supported for this device, and similarly output settings is also greyed out in the file menu. The screenshot of the input page is all I get so changing any settings doesn’t seem possible. Not sure what the sync light on Green means - perhapps just synced with HW settings. I had thought a simple stereo device would default to correct settings.. I have yet to check the output from the rear panels I have some mono jacks arriving very soon.I could reload all the drivers etc but doing that on my desktop showed no discernible difference. I made it the default device for Windows manly to see if I could hear anything from the Cd but none there.I’ve also restarted Focusright Local Services in Control panel. With lockdown I’ve got another free weekend and hope to make some progress then. Thanks for all inputs

Cheers
Peter

PeterD

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm

Well , my final attempt to get this wretched device going has failed a friend, who has one working perfectly emailed me a session file or snapshot as focusrite puts it. Starting from factory resets the .ff file loaded OK followed by silence I’ve tried it on another PC with the same result so I guess it’s time to send it back to its maker !!
When I think the EMU 1820M played right out of the box it really is surprising that the2i2 didn’t. Although a hardware problem seems an unlikely event I can’t conclude otherwise, so signing off this. Thread with a final thanks to everyone for all the time you’ve put in to solve the problem. HW is still a great community.

PeterD

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 4:33 pm

I think, by the novel approach of actually reading the manual, I have found out why the 2i2 wouldn’t work. Unless you follow the registration procedure the 2i2 simply acts a connected MSD 9 (mass storage device) .. it doesn’t act as act as an audio device . If you simply download the drivers and Control software, which I did then the procedure is

In order to force your Scarlett 4i4 out of MSD mode without first registering it, connect it to your host computer and press and hold the 48V button for five seconds. This will ensure that your Scarlett 4i4 has full functionality. Please bear in mind that should you wish to register your Scarlett 4i4 after taking this action, you will need to so manually, as explained above.

AlWAYS RTFQ

Peter
Last edited by PeterD on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing