It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

Novation Launchpad Compatibility (2021 Models)

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

scodavis

Novation Launchpad Compatibility (2021 Models)

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Hello. I tried searching for this information, but everything I found was written in 2020 or earlier when some of the current models are available, and most reference Hauptwerk 5, not 6. Based on what I've been able to find, here are the models currently available for the choosing.
    Launchpad Mini MK3
    Launchpad Pro
    Launchpad X
    Launchpad MK2 (Used market only)
    Launchpad Mini MK2 (Used market only)
The official documentation of Hauptwerk only lists the Launchpad MK2 as being compatible. It does appear that the Launchpad X is basically the newer iteration of that.

My question is simple - which options are known to work properly and natively with Hauptwerk 6? Also, does anyone have measurements of the button sizes on the regular and mini versions for comparison?

Thank you!

mdyde

Re: Novation Launchpad Compatibility (2021 Models)

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 4:32 am

Hello scodavis,

There have been no changes in v6 above v5 relating to Novation Launchpad model support, i.e. the models that we have here, and for which Hauptwerk v5/v6 has full native support are the 'Novation Launchpad Mk2' and the original (mark 1) 'Novation Launchpad', as covered in this topic (from November 2020):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19165#p143955

mdyde wrote:The Novation Launchpad models that Hauptwerk v5 officially support are:

- 'Novation Launchpad' (original 'mark 1' model).
- 'Novation Launchpad Mk2'. If you're looking to buy a Launchpad then I would recommend getting this specific model.

Other models, such as the 'Launchpad Pro' and 'Launchpad Mini' series may - or may not - also work, but only the standard 'Launchpad' models (not 'Mini' or 'Pro) are officially supported. I'm not aware of a 'Launchpad Mk3' model existing at this point in time (only the 'Launchpad Mini Mk3' and 'Launchpad Pro Mk3', which we don't officially support.) If Novation do make a standard 'Launchpad Mk3' (not 'Mini' or Pro') to replace the current 'Launchpad Mk2' then perhaps we would look into adding support for it in Hauptwerk for some future version, but at that this stage that isn't applicable to my knowledge.

See also these topics:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19124&p=143677#p143674
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13668&p=142704#p142704
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18725#p141080
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18781
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18829

(Novation change their models rather frequently, and we have limited resources, but I expect we'll add support for one or more of their new models at some point in the future.)

On the Launchpad Mk2 (which I can recommend -- it's robust, with good-quality buttons and bright LEDs) the square buttons are 19mm x 19mm, and the round ones 14mm in diameter.

There was a topic on the Launchpad Mini Mk3 recently here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19559
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

scodavis

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 10:21 am

Thank you for the response and the information. The hard part about the Launchpad MK2 is that it's no longer available for sale, and due to its demand the used price is almost as high as the new price for their current.

There is no Launchpad MK3 - I believe the successor to the MK2 was the Launchpad X, but I don't know that I could invest in that without knowing if somebody has tried it out successfully.

Jetdog100

PostSun May 02, 2021 3:20 am

Launchpad Mini mk3 is working fine on my HW VI. I am now printing stop/piston/mem set lists on A4 tracing paper to cover the Launchpad buttons according to the organ I have Loaded.
To get Launchpad up and working Download Novation Components and install it on your desktop computer.
connect launchpad to a USB port. Click New custom mode (top left) Click Create custom mode (center). An unlit pad will appear. Drag CC Button widget to a vacant square on the grid. do the same again to each of the squares you want to use on the 8x8 grid (probably all of them). Select 1 grid button and click on settings (next to widgets on right). make CC number 0-99 (probably incremental) leave on value 127 and Off at 0. Pad Mode select toggle and leave MIDI channel at 1, select colour from below, then select next button on your grid and repeat the process. Click send to Lpad, Save with unique name.
Take launchpad and connect to a USB port or hub on your Haupwerk computer start it up and press User (top right button of Lpad) in your HW general setting, select midi ports and Add a tick to MIDIN2(LPMINIMK3MIDI) on the midi in ports then the same to the midi out ports. From your HW screen with the stops for your chosen organ right click and stop or piston select auto detect the press to Lpad button you wish to use then click done. Repeat process, try it you will love it.
Harry. NB:- I don't know how to post images yet

engrssc

PostMon May 03, 2021 2:00 am

Interesting as previously we haven't used the Novation software, correct? A few questions as I'm not where I can try this out presently.. Trying to visualize how this works with multiple L/P's.

Is that set up saved within the L/P itself (referring to when using a unique name?)

Is the initial setup done as on a per organ basis? In other words, you would need to do that set up complete for each organ?

Is there a way to change a button's colour after the initial set up when the L/P is connected to the HW computer ?

Rgds,
Ed

Jetdog100

PostTue May 04, 2021 2:59 am

The initial setups using Novation Components are saved according to the name you give them. At this stage you can make the colours of each grid key when not selected whatever you want. You get to choose the On colour (for when the grid key is pressed (activated) What the key activates is determined by right clicking any control of the Haupwerk organ (Sample Set) and choosing and get it to auto detect (the same as detecting Keyboards Pedalboard etc.) your Launchpad configuration will be saved along with your organ settings when you exit and power off. It will restore when you next power on. You would need a separate Launchpad for any specific sample set (organ) being used Or you will get odd results. You can reload whatever setup you have saved to accommodate this from Novation Components where you can change grid key colours. I have translucent tracing paper templates printed to cover the front of the launchpad whit the designation of the keys ie:- swell to great, 16’ Bourdon, mem set 05 etc and the grid key lights shine though it and it appears as if the typing is on the actual key. Button colours are set by novation components Button midi actions are set by Haupwerk.
Harry.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing