It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

Hauptwerk Latency/Delay between Audio and Piano

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JWOODS98

Hauptwerk Latency/Delay between Audio and Piano

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello all, this is my first post here, and I thank you for allowing me into the forum. I am a cinema organ enthusiast.

This inquiry involves MIDI Output in Hauptwerk v6 Advanced. I have a Yamaha digital piano attached to the organ, so putting on any of the piano stops play the real piano rather than the Hauptwerk sample set’s piano, however the piano sounds slightly before Hauptwerk, so I was hoping to inquire if there a way to add latency to the MIDI division output?
Currently I have about 30-40 feet of cord coiled up behind the piano, with the USB output running through it, which added some delay, but not enough, the piano still plays before the “standard” organ pipe and percussion audio from Hauptwerk.

Is there anyway to delay rank/division midi output?
Thank you.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk Latency/Delay between Audio and Piano

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm

Hello JWOODS98,

Welcome to the forum.

There isn't any means within Hauptwerk currently to add latency to division/keyboard/rank MIDI output, I'm afraid, but I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd like it to have that ability.

You'd potentially need to use some external hardware or software to do that currently. Perhaps some MIDI utility hardware device exists that can delay MIDI messages by a user-specified amount, or perhaps something like Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI-OX (both software) have that ability, but I don't know.

(The length of your MIDI or USB keyboards won't make any audible difference, since electricity travels through wires at almost the speed of light.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 2:55 pm

This article gives a basic understanding of the MIDI situation.

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tutr/effects.htm

OTOH, delaying the audio itself is quite doable. In broadcasting or streaming, delaying the audio is many times necessary because it takes more time to process video than it does for audio. Thus if not delayed, the audio signal would lead the video signal. The two would be out of sync (referred to as lip sync). Here is one possible solution. You can Google for more.

https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/211/how-to-set-an-audio-delay-to-sync-your-audio-and-video-together

If using hardware, you would need to insert an audio delay between the piano's audio output and the amp/spkr. I've used a RANE AVA 22D (which is a 2 channel box) to do that delay bit.

Rgds,
Ed

JWOODS98

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Thank you both for the responses. I shall investigate slowing down the midi signal between Hauptwerk and the computer and the piano. I shall hope one day there might be some type of feature for real piano usage in Hauptwerk. The piano is not amplified so I have no control of the sound once the midi strikes the keys, it sounds immediately. I shall have to look at the Yamaha interface and see if there is a way to delay the note striking as there are some other controls I am not fully aware of how they work all these years on, on there. Otherwise I shall have to find a MIDI output delay programme to put on the computer. Maybe I shall telephone Yamaha, although I doubt they really intended their digital pianos to be attached to organs, even though some have been. Thank you both and I welcome any other suggestions.

mdyde

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 4:12 am

Thanks. Hope you manage to find something suitable.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing