It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Audio suddenly stopping

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

adri

Audio suddenly stopping

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm

What can be the cause of my audio suddenly coming to a crashing halt, which forces me to reboot the Hauptwerk software? I also reboot my external soundcard, a Fireface UCX.

Thanks in advance...

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Audio suddenly stopping

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Greeting Adri,

I think you are still using Hauptwerk 4 and re-installed Windows 10 in January (searching your previous posts). Guessing that since that time all was fine.

Do you know if Windows 10 updated lately? Have you try to re-installed your audio interface drivers?

When the audio crashes/stops, if you go to to Engine | Advanced use | Stop audio engine then go back Start audio engine ... do you get any error message. Any error messge when exiting Hauptwerk?

Do you have this problem with all your sample sets or only a specific one? If a specific one, are you crashing when playing a specific note and stop?

Does the audio stops while playing or does it stops after leaving the console for a while and returning to it to play some more? (In that case check your energy saving parameters and make sure that USB doesn't power down.) You can also try to connect your audio interface to another USB connector.

Have you checked how much free memory you have? Ideally try to have at least from 1.5 to 2Gb free
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

adri

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am

Hello Francois,

No, no, no error messages using the engine's audio off and on; works perfectly.

I do get an error message when exiting HW when it happens, and will do a screen capture next time to read it.

I have enough RAM (96) and on the Ottobeuren sample, I upped the polyphony to ca. 2500 but it didn't cure the problem. I have also problem with the Martini set. It has also happened with the Annanberg set. I think it's not a set issue, but a windows issue.

HW apparently only provides paid support now?

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:07 am

Hi,

Since you do get an error message when exiting, this usually means that the computer lost its connection with the audio interface (faulty USB/firewire, cable badly seated, failing component, energy saving settings).

Check your connections, cables, you may want to re-install the drivers, check Windows events to see if there are errors who may help you diagnose the problem.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:42 am

Hello Adri,

As Francois' mentioned, do make sure that all Windows power-saving preferences are disabled, and especially the option for putting USB devices to sleep. See the 7th bullet point in the 'Performance tuning: Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (page 274 in the current v6.0.2 version) for how to do that. If that Windows USB-sleep option isn't disabled then the PC may well lose communication with USB-MIDI and/or USB-audio devices -- a very common problem.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

adri

PostSun May 09, 2021 10:58 am

thanks everyone for your replies. Since installing HW 6, the problem might have gone away. I'll check all possibilities.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing