It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Novation Launchpad Mk2 suddenly stopped working

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

RODANDUNA

Novation Launchpad Mk2 suddenly stopped working

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Hi Just another question in regard to Novation Launchpad MK2
I am just using it for selecting tabs that I don't physically have, & then selecting the appropriate color for that tab but all of a sudden I can't get the lamp button to select any color as this function is not giving me the option. I guess it must be some midi issue Anyone know why this is giving me a headache? Thanks Rod

magnaton

Re: Novation Launchpad Compatibility (2021 Models)

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 am

RODANDUNA wrote:all of a sudden I can't get the lamp button to select any color as this function is not giving me the option. I guess it must be some midi issue Anyone know why this is giving me a headache?

Hello Rod:

If it was working fine before then quit, do the standard debugging tasks:
Check or swap out the usb cable.
Does it give the marquee light show when the computer is booting up?
When pressing any L/P button, does the green HW Midi indicator flash? It should regardless if any stop or function is assigned to it.
If using Windows, check to see if the Launchpad is listed as a functioning device.
If using HW5/HW6 when assigning a button color, make sure you select the right L/P version that is shown (MK1 or MK2).

Danny B.

RODANDUNA

Re: Novation Launchpad Compatibility (2021 Models)

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 am

Thanks for the reply
No lights come on when computer starts up
The cable is OK
Can't get it to detect the organ tabs
The lamp function is not illuminating to select any colour or allowing me to choose the launchpad model
Seems that it is not recognised but shows up in the midi ports

Thanks Rod

mdyde

Re: Novation Launchpad Mk2 suddenly stopped working

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:06 am

Hello Rod,

[I've split your posts off from the original topic to this new one.]

To add to Danny's reply, I'd suggest:

- Shut the computer down.
- Completely switch the computer, and all associated devices (USB devices, audio/MIDI devices, MIDI console, any other MIDI hardware, USB hubs, etc.), off at the mains (wall socket) for at least 15 seconds, especially so as to ensure that all USB devices get fully powered off (including the Launchpad).
- Make sure that in principle there is ample power supply for all of your USB devices, since insufficient USB bus power often causes USB devices to behave erratically. If connecting devices via a USB hub then make sure it's a good-quality (reputable brand) *powered* (not 'bus-powered') model. Better still, if your computer has sufficient USB ports, keep the Launchpad connected directly to a USB port on the computer.
- Switch everything back on, reboot the computer, and log in. The Launchpad's button lights should perform their 'start-up light-show' as it boots. If not, the driver and Launchpad aren't working properly together for some reason, so stop and resolve that.
- Wait at least 30 seconds so as to ensure that Windows has had time to finish loading all drivers, etc. before launching Hauptwerk.
- Make sure that all Windows power-saving preferences are disabled, and especially the option for putting USB devices to sleep. See the 7th bullet point in the 'Performance tuning: Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (page 274 in the current v6.0.2 version) for how to do that. If that Windows USB-sleep option isn't disabled then the PC may well lose communication with USB-MIDI devices, such as a Launchpad -- a very common problem.
- Launch Hauptwerk.
- Go to the MIDI ports screen.
- On the 'MIDI IN ports' screen tab, make sure that your Launchpad is (still) listed as a column *without* an 'off-line' suffix (an 'off-line' suffix would indicate that the computer isn't seeing it), and make sure that column is (still) ticked in the relevant 'Console MIDI IN' row.
- Do likewise on the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab, for a 'Console MIDI OUT' row. (The Launchpad must be visible to the operating system [not 'off-line'] and be ticked for *both* console input and output.)
- Load St. Anne's, and try auto-detecting a stop to a Launchpad button. You should see the button colour options during auto-detection.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RODANDUNA

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:25 am

Thanks Martin for that lengthy explanation & for your valuable time. I will try this tomorrow Cheers Rod

mdyde

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 5:31 am

Thanks, Rod. Hope you manage to resolve it.
Best regards, Martin.

RODANDUNA

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 am

Hi Martin Thanks for all your help WOW after two days of fiddling finally have success
I had 2 problems I could not find my launchpad anywhere in the midi screens or the general settings Midi section I kept getting a message "Device driver not sucessfully Installed" I found I was trying to load a launchpad Pro driver so deleted that & loaded the correct driver The Launchpad was then recognised in midi but still not working till I ticked the box in midi out which you reminded me of so Thanks all is now well Cheers Rod

mdyde

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 3:42 am

Thanks, Rod. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

RODANDUNA

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:51 am

Thanks Martin Now another problem :cry: After setting up all the tabs on my launchpad for the solo of Paramount 4/50 when I next load the organ all of the settings are gone & the launchpad is not working (off line):I have gone to the file & saves my settings but that makes no difference is there a way to stop this happening Thanks Rod

mdyde

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:20 am

Hello Rod,

RODANDUNA wrote:Thanks Martin Now another problem :cry: After setting up all the tabs on my launchpad for the solo of Paramount 4/50 when I next load the organ all of the settings are gone & the launchpad is not working (off line):I have gone to the file & saves my settings but that makes no difference is there a way to stop this happening Thanks Rod

I moved the identical post that you made in another topic off to a new topic and replied to it there:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19954

Please see that topic for replies.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing