It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

Best audio interface for Hauptwerk / Windows with minimun 6

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JUANCGO

Best audio interface for Hauptwerk / Windows with minimun 6

PostMon May 17, 2021 5:28 am

Good morning
I am in doubt between the following audio interfaces:
I need it to work on Windows 10.
UNIVERSAL AUDIO APOLLO TWIN MKII
RME UCX
MOTU MK5
ANTELOPE DISCRETE 4 SINERGY
AUDIENT ID44

awaiting your opiniones

Best regards.

engrssc

Re: Best audio interface for Hauptwerk / Windows with minimu

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:03 am

Excellent results with MOTU MK5.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue May 18, 2021 3:59 am

Hello JUANCGO,

RME (including the UFX and UC/UCX series) and MOTU (including the 24Ao, 16A Ultralite series) interfaces are popular amongst Hauptwerk users on both Windows 10 and macOS. RME have a reputation for especially good drivers and support (including longevity of support on new platforms).

I don't think we've heard of any Hauptwerk users who've tried Universal Audio, Antelope, or Audient interfaces with Hauptwerk (but I know of no reason that they shouldn't work).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:02 am

One of the problems with choosing audio interfaces nowadays is the number of INPUTS.
Hauptwerk never needs inputs, so every input is wasted money for HW users.
Another problem with some higher-end multi-channel interfaces is that they have (sometimes complicated) audio-routing mixers that we never need (Focusrite 18i20 is a good example of both problems).
I want an interface where Ch 1-2 (or 3-4 etc) in HW simply means Ch1-2 (or 3-4 etc) on the interface, without having to fiddle around with another on-board mixer.
When choosing an interface for my customers I look for those that are user-friendly, simple to operate, with as few inputs as possible, and that don't cost the earth.
For those wanting just one pair of monitors and a sub, it's the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (still available, new or factory-refurbished from the Focusrite store) - not the latest 8i6 which has 2 more inputs.
For 3 pairs + sub I've been impressed with the ESI U86XT. It says it has 6 outputs, but it actually has 8: the 4th pair is a mix of everything - perfect for the sub, and you don't even have to include it in the HW audio routing (it's automatic).
For 8+ outputs I'm still very happy with MOTU Ultralite Mk3 hybrid (USB/Firewire).

Hope this is helpful.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

jkinkennon

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Aside from the great Scarlett 18i20 and MOTU interfaces I've also ordered at least four of the small two channel Presonus units. I wouldn't overlook them. Presumable their larger interfaces are just as good. I've also been able to install one of the Presonus Studiolive series mixers which would be overkill for most situations but might be used as a highly functional interface for someone who mixes other inputs with organ or who might want access to immediate routing reconfiguration.

vpo-organist

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:02 pm

RME is a good choice. They have implement their own USB-Driver that works with very low latencies.
I've a RME Digiface, but the USB-Driver is the same to other RME-Devices. HW displays 3.8 ms latency. That is a fantastic value.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing