It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

Converting Midi to Bluetooth

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ludu

Converting Midi to Bluetooth

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello,
I plan to buy a PadMu reader to read my scores. Unfortunately, it does not recognize Midi signals to turn the pages, but only Bluetooth signals. I am wondering if there is a system that would allow me to convert Midi signals from my console into Bluetooth signals. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.
Luc

vpo-organist

Re: Converting Midi to Bluetooth

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Last edited by vpo-organist on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

IainStinson

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi.
Sorry but think the devices mentioned above will do what is needed. They replace a midi cable with a wireless (using Bluetooth as the carrier) link. For the reader being considered I don’t think this is what is required.

On their website they show a Bluetooth switch, Air Duo 200 switch being used with the reader. The Duo can work in a number of different modes but defaults to Bluetooth computer keyboard mode, which is not midi. The tutorial only shows pairing the Duo pedal and does not say which mode the pedal is to use, so I would suspect the pedal uses its default (keyboard) mode. If you want to use this reader via a midi piston on your console, then I suggest you find out if this is possible from the reader manufacturer before purchasing it. You may need a device which takes midi in from your console and then generates the appropriate Bluetooth computer keyboard key press for the reader (emulating the Duo pedal).

Iain

ludu

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 3:08 am

Indeed, Iain is right, it is not a transmitter that I need, but a converter of signals Midi to Bluetooth. I must be able to decide for example that C4 will be converted to Bluetooth to ‘right arrow’.

Since I also use Bome’s Midi Translator, I can convert a Midi signal to an alphanumeric key, which is like looking for a converter from a key (probably an arrow) to a Bluetooth signal.

Of course, I will contact the manufacturer about this.
Luc

peterdenboer

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 3:23 pm

Hello I found this https://youtu.be/9NUTuOi1_Ec

regards, Peter
peter

ludu

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 am

Hello Peter,
Thank you for your contribution, but this system is identical to the one proposed in the first two answers. It is a hardware solution which simply transmits a Midi signal between two devices. What I need is not hardware but a software solution which converts a Midi signal to an alphanumeric character in Bluetooth. Transmission is another matter that I have no problem with.
Cordially,
Luc

vpo-organist

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 10:40 am

There will probably be no solution. Bluetooth is only the connection protocol. What is then transmitted via this connection is probably a proprietary (manufacturer-specific) protocol. I would be very surprised if the manufacturer discloses the protocol used.

ludu

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 6:24 am

vpo-organist wrote:There will probably be no solution. Bluetooth is only the connection protocol. What is then transmitted via this connection is probably a proprietary (manufacturer-specific) protocol. I would be very surprised if the manufacturer discloses the protocol used.

I wonder why this protocol would be secret, because most Bluetooth controllers such as AirTurn or IK Multimedia clearly announce the list of software compatible with their hardware. They always mention in their list Adobe Acrobat Reader, which uses the right and left arrows to turn the pages. It is certainly these keys that must be able to emulate in Bluetooth. My only problem is there, in my opinion: how to do it?
Luc

vpo-organist

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:04 am

I understand the problem. It is comparable to the situation where we are facing each other and we don't know in which language we can communicate. If you tell me "English" (you just told me the protocol), then I know the communication option (something like that).

The product mentioned above sends Midi. This is also a protocol. But PadMu doesn't understand that (in the example above an unknown language).
The AirTurn DUO 200 uses a protocol ("a language") which is unknown to us. The easiest solution is to use the AirTurn DUO 200 or to scroll by tap gesture.

You need to ask the manufacturer what other options are available, because no one here can answer that.

ludu

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 am

vpo-organist wrote:You need to ask the manufacturer what other options are available, because no one here can answer that.

You are right. I questioned him and I await the answer that I will communicate in this post.
Luc

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing