It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

Copeman Hart Musicom MIDI

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

stevendethick

Copeman Hart Musicom MIDI

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:07 pm

ImageImage

Hello all.

I am considering the purchase of a Copeman Hart console circa 2000.

It is a lovely piece of kit, and from what I can see, it should have MIDI capability, as the CPU Board has a DB9 connector labelled "Easy MIDI" with LED indicators for MIDI In, Out, and Through/Out 2.

I am hoping there may be some folks on this page who could shed some light for me on what breakout cable or board may be required and availability of the same.

My initial thought was that it was an RS232 serial link, but on further consideration, the presence of the LED indicators would suggest the MIDI is native and simply requires a breakout cable.

Many thanks for any information you could give.

Steven.
Last edited by stevendethick on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larason2

Re: Copeman Hart Musicom MIDI

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:47 pm

If it has Midi out, then all you would need is a midi cable, and some kind of interface for your computer. Recommended ones are the ones from Steinberg, Motu, Focusrite, etc. They have midi ports, but also have low latency audio and ASIO drivers which are ideal for Hauptwerk.

IainStinson

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 4:12 am

Midi transmission is a digital use of "current loop" transmission, hence the nine pin socket on this interface. Before networking, current loop was popular for connecting low speed computer terminals where the transmission lines were long (perhaps too long for RS232).

You should only need to convert the pin out to the more usual five pin midi socket.

Iain

stevendethick

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 6:33 am

Thank you, Iain.

I had a feeling it just needs a breakout cable or the like.

Now to find the pinout schematic....

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing