It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

Audio Interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

RODANDUNA

Audio Interface

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 7:32 am

Hi all, I wonder if the audio interface we use makes any difference to the sound of the organs. I have a friend here in West Australia, that among other organs is using Neil Jensens 3/35 I also have this set & my organ sounds quite different to his I have a Roland MK2 interface & he is using his Echo Audiofire for his interface Our speaker system is in similar positioning. I have Behringer 2031A's & he is using older speakers out of a cinema Any idea if the speakers or the interface is making the difference or a bit of both. Thanks Rod

mnailor

Re: Audio Interface

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 7:59 am

The speakers usually make a bigger quality difference. DACs aren't all the same, but only the worst audio interface would make it actually sound bad.

RODANDUNA

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 8:17 am

Thanks for your post Cheers Rod

RaymondList

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 9:40 am

I run a MOTU UltraLIte. I always thought it sounded great. I had a need to upgrade my MacBook Pro to Big Sur which I delayed as long as I could since MOTU had no driver available for Big Sur at that time. I learned that the UltraLite could run as a USB class-compliant device using no software drivers, so I did the upgrade to my OS. The improvement in the audio was astounding to me. I really had a hard time believing how much better it sounded. Someone else on the forum here had upgraded his OS and was struggling to install some driver for his MOTU. I mentioned that I thought my system sounded somewhat better without the driver as I was now running without it. He tried it and wrote to me privately (which is why I'm not mentioning who that was) that he was blown away with the improvement in the clarity of his system. Again, the only thing I changed was the removal of the software driver - everything else on my Hauptwerk installation remained the same, as was also the case with the other user. It is not necessarily hardware that can make a difference, but the associated software as well. Just some food for thought.

Regards,
Ray
Ray

RODANDUNA

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks Ray that is interesting & I do value your post & I will keep working this to get the result I need Cheers Rod

murph

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi Raymond.
Which version of the Ultralite is class-compliant?

RaymondList

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:56 pm

murph wrote:Which version of the Ultralite is class-compliant?

I'm running the UltraLite-Mk4. I should also note that when running class-compliant, selecting the little speaker icon in the Mac's menu bar, or using the touch bar/function keys on the Mac for volume no longer allow control of Hauptwerk's volume. However, pressing the knob on the UltraLite (one click if I remember) allows access of the internal control of the UltraLite's volume.
Regards,
Ray

johannus-dude

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 4:36 pm

Comment deleted - question was answered.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing