It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

Altiverb with Hauprwerk V

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

hotfingers

Altiverb with Hauprwerk V

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 11:26 am

I use Altiverb (7) exclusive for all my audio work and hitherto, have been assuming that there is no direct way of using it with Hauptwerk V as a plugin. I also imagine that you cannot import the IRs – my assumption being that these would need to be in a specific format which would be different from that which Altiverb uses.

I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience of this.

Altiverb 7 | Hauptwerk V | MacPro High-Sierra
Roderick Elms

mdyde

Re: Altiverb with Hauprwerk V

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 11:57 am

Hello Roderick,

hotfingers wrote:I use Altiverb (7) exclusive for all my audio work and hitherto, have been assuming that there is no direct way of using it with Hauptwerk V as a plugin. I also imagine that you cannot import the IRs – my assumption being that these would need to be in a specific format which would be different from that which Altiverb uses.

Correct -- Hauptwerk has its own convolver -- it can't directly host VST/AU plug-ins (e.g. Aliverb), and Hauptwerk's convolver's IR format is not directly compatible with Altiverb's.

(If you specifically wanted to use Altiverb or its IRs, instead of Hauptwerk's built-in convolver, then you would need to route Hauptwerk's audio output to a VST/AU host and load Altiverb within that VST/AU host, as you would have done in Hauptwerk v4, and as covered in the 'Using an AU/VST host to apply real-time effects to Hauptwerk’s output' section in the Hauptwerk user guide -- page 240 in the current v6.0.2 version.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hotfingers

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank you, Martin – I had a feeling it would all be like this but you never know! I asked as I have some specific IR's which I've recorded in various churches, concert halls and cathedrals to which I'm rather partial for certain situations. All the best.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Thanks, Roderick. You're very welcome.

If you want to know how to convert your home-recorded IRs to Hauptwerk's convolver format then have a read through the 'Section 5: Impulse response reverb definition file tables' section in the document available via the 'Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module, ..., reverb format documentation' menu function in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hotfingers

Re: Altiverb with Hauptwerk V

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Thank you, I will. As I remember, the recorded sweeps are SDII/WAV but converted by Altiverb's pre-processor. I'll investigate!
Roderick Elms

murph

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:34 pm

If Altiverb can't generate WAV's from the sweep (it used to, way back when....), Voxengo have a free de-convolver that might do the trick. It's worth a try.

hotfingers

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Excellent – many thanks for this. I need to do some research and also think back many years. When I sampled those acoustics, they would have been SDII/WAV files from which the Audioease preprocessor then created IRs. I would still have both the IRs and the originally recorded SDII/WAV files. I imagine that the processed SDII files with the IR file are what is needed rather than the originally recorded sweeps. Anyhow, I can do some more research.
Roderick Elms

murph

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 pm

If you have the sweep wav you played and the one you recorded, the Voxengo de-convolver can generate the wav files for the IR's. Then follow Martin's instructions to make them HW compatible. It should be a relatively easy process. (You may want to play with the delay between samples a bit.......)

hotfingers

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 2:35 am

Many thanks for the tip – unfortunately, this appears to be PC only. I can still use the workaround of a host for Altiverb – just a little 'clumsy'!
Roderick Elms

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing