It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

MOTU sound cards keep dying

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: MOTU sound cards keep dying

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:48 am

Hello organsRgreat,

In Hauptwerk v5+ the sample rate is a user setting. However, in v4 and earlier the required sample rate was set by the sample set producer within the organ definition file (since using a different rate from that of the samples could yield a small but noticeable reduction in audio quality in v4). If the organ definition is unencrypted, you could potentially make a copy of the file, then edit your copy in a text editor to change:

<AudioOut_OptimalFormat_SampleRateCode>2</AudioOut_OptimalFormat_SampleRateCode>

... to:

<AudioOut_OptimalFormat_SampleRateCode>3</AudioOut_OptimalFormat_SampleRateCode>

Then when you load that organ definition file subsequently Hauptwerk will use an output sample rate of 48 kHz. (Note that in v4 the cache file would need to be regenerated if changing that attribute.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 am

Many thanks Martin – yes it is Version 4, and fortunately unencrypted, so I’ll see if I can work out how to implement this modification. If not I’ll contact Jake, who has already modified this sample set for me; I’m sure he’ll know how to do it. I’m very pleased to know that it’s possible, as that particular sample set works perfectly with the two theatre organs I like to run simultaneously, and I’ve already worked out some arrangements using it (before I started reconfiguring the system using the RME Digiface USB, as discussed earlier in this thread).

mdyde

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

organsRgreat

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 8:14 am

I've found the relevant file, and can see the line I need to edit. A friend has emphasized the importance of saving in the correct format, i.e. with the correct extension. Notepad offers two possibilities to "Save As" - either as .txt (plain text), or as "All Files". Will one of these do the job?

My friend has recommended Microsoft XML Notepad, but that looks unnecessarily complicated.

mdyde

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 am

Hello organsRgreat,

organsRgreat wrote:Notepad offers two possibilities to "Save As" - either as .txt (plain text), or as "All Files". Will one of these do the job?

"All Files".
Best regards, Martin.

organsRgreat

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 8:58 am

Hello Martin,

For some reason we’re having endless problems with this. I say “we”, because I’m being helped by a good friend who retired recently as a Senior Lecturer in IT at a local university. The first thing I didn’t know was that if I use “All Files” to save from Notepad, I need to manually add the xml extension, otherwise Notepad will still save as .txt . But even now my friend’s done that for me, Hauptwerk won’t accept the file.

When I use File Explorer, the File Type for all other Hauptwerk organ definitions shows as “ORGAN_HAUPTWERK_XML File”, whereas what we’ve produced shows as “XML Document”. Since we’ve only altered one character – a 2 to a 3 – the file size remains the same – 33,634 Kb. We think the answer must be something simple – can you spot what we’re doing wrong?

mdyde

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 10:01 am

Hello organsRgreat,

Probably Notepad appended '.xml' to the existing filename/extension when you saved it. By default WIndows' File Explorer hides the (last) file extension, so you might not see the spurious '.xml' file extension. In File Explorer, from the menu go to 'View | Options | Change folder and search options', then on the 'View' tab, un-tick 'Hide extensions for known types' and OK it. You should then see the full name of the file, including any extensions.

It needs to have the extension:

.Organ_Hauptwerk_xml

... *not*:

.Organ_Hauptwerk_xml.xml

... (i.e. without an extra '.xml' on the end).
Best regards, Martin.

organsRgreat

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 9:11 am

SUCCESS! It needed your guidance, and help from a friend with more technicaI knowledge than I possess, but everything is now working perfectly. I asked my friend how to explain the details on the Hauptwerk forum; he says “I used Notepad++ as my XML editor and saved the file without any file extension. Unlike the standard, and very basic Notepad, Notepad++ is a text and source code editor for use with Microsoft Windows. It supports tabbed editing and has other valuable facilities including the freedom to name files precisely as you wish. It is a free download. The current latest release is version 8.1.5”.

As expected, the pitch was initially sharp (because of playing back at 48K instead of 44.1), but Hauptwerk’s pitch controls can bring it down far enough to compensate. This site:

https://gearspace.com/board/newbie-audi ... think.html

explains that A440 has to be reset to 404.25 – (44100/48000)*440.

So thanks again Martin for explaining exactly what we needed to know.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 9:15 am

Thanks. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing