It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

Mystery problem, either MIDI interface or sound driver?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

danwerning

Mystery problem, either MIDI interface or sound driver?

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 9:19 am

When I tried to log into Hauptwerk today, it stated it was unable to connect to my Roland Um-one MIDI hardware interface. Further investigating, I discovered that Windows had automatically updated the driver for that hardware this morning. So I rolled back the driver to the previous driver version and was able to get into Hauptwerk.

However, after loading the organ and before the stops appeared, I got a message ("Could not create audio output buffers for ASIO driver with a buffer size of 1024 sample frames. Please try re-booting the computer. Operating system message ASE_InvalidMode, code -997 hex: FFFFFC1B." and "Message code for diagnostic purposes 5148"). I reinstalled THAT driver but keep getting the same message after rebooting the computer, etc. multiple times.

However, I discovered that if I simply click on "Engine/Advanced use/Start Audio/MIDI" the organ finished loading and everything worked normally. BUT Hauptwerk doesn't save the setting and every time I load an organ, any organ, I get the ASIO warning message and have to manually start the audio as described.

What's going on? How do I fix this?

NOTE: I changed NOTHING on Hauptwerk or on my Windows 11 computer. Yesterday everything worked perfectly, and then after the Roland Um-one apparent driver problem, all this started happening.

mnailor

Re: Mystery problem, either MIDI interface or sound driver?

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 9:46 am

The ASIO error doesn't seem related to the um-one driver, which looks like just a MIDI to USB adapter.

What's your audio interface? Is its ASIO driver a new version? Does it have a diagnostics application or a troubleshooting guide separate from testing it in Hauptwerk? Does its control panel setting match the 1024 sample buffer size Hauptwerk is trying to use? Does the sample rate match -- 48kHz or 96 -- between the audio interface and Hauptwerk?

jkinkennon

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 10:16 am

Is Hauptwerk set to start automatically when you boot the PC? You may need to delay HW just a little to give the USB drivers a chance to be recognized by Windows.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 10:34 am

Hi,

First, about the drivers updating automatically updating you may want to disable this features (I usually do that). To disable drivers updating:

- Press Windows + R keys together, type the command “sysdm.cpl” in the Run dialog box and press Enter. Alternatively, you can open Command Prompt and type the same command to open System Properties
- Click the "Hardware" tab
- Click "Device installation settings" and set to NO

(note that these instructions are for Window 7-10... and quite possibly 11, but I don't have a Windows 11 computer on hands).

For you error 5148, in Hauptwerk go to General settings | Audio device... and check the parameters. Set the sample rate to 48kHz, 1024 (buffer size) and 1 (number of buffers). Click OK then Load St-Anne. Still the same problem or not?

Since your under Windows 11, it is possible that the update your audio drivers is not fully compatible. For good measure, uninstall your actual audio drivers. Visit your audio interface manufacturer' website to see if a new driver is available. Check also on the website if they have a page dedicated to Windows 11 compatibility and if your audio interface is fully supported. I understand that it was working before the update, but we regularly see updates "breaking" things who were working (especially on an OS who is still young).

Hope that helps.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

danwerning

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 11:54 pm

Thank you everyone. I finally solved the problem by upgrading to v. VI. :D

mnailor

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 3:36 am

Didn't see that coming as a solution!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing