It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

How to get highest possible audio output fidelity?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

danwerning

How to get highest possible audio output fidelity?

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Please answer with software solutions only.

I have Hauptwerk V, Windows 10, Intel i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz with 64 GB installed memory. Currently, when my Lavender Hereford Father Willis organ (full set) is loaded, I have 46.6 GB physical memory free.

Within these hardware parameters, what exactly do I do to get the highest fidelity audio output possible?
1. Changes made within Windows 10 itself.
2. Changes made within my audio driver software.
3. Changes made within Hauptwerk V.
4. Upgrade to Hauptwerk VI? And is it possible to tweak Hauptwerk V to such a degree that the upgrade to VI is unnecessary if fidelity is the ONLY reason I would upgrade?

THANK YOU!

mnailor

Re: How to get highest possible audio output fidelity?

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 8:34 pm

Based on memory, you're already loading all samples/attacks/loops/releases at 24 bit compressed, which is good.

It would help to know where you believe Hereford needs to improve in sound quality on your system, if you have examples of what seems to be subpar. Also, a description of your audio components is highly relevant.

So, some generalities:

1. Windows tuning for audio is covered in the Hauptwerk user and installation guide. See the Performance tuning section. The i7-8700 is more than sufficient for Hereford XL if tuned properly.

2. Audio driver help would require knowing your audio interface make and model, but it's usually limited to the sample rate and buffer size parameters discussed in the HW user guide.

3. Tuning for audio within HW V is also in the HW user guide, in the section mentioned above and the chapters on audio mixing. Polyphony setting for your CPU, rank voicing, rank routing, mixer groups and buses all factor into audio quality, mostly in the sense of making it worse if you haven't thought through those settings carefully after understanding the documentation.

4. Fidelity was greatly improved from V to VI by two new options: Higher definition pitch shifting, which affects a lot more than just temperament changes and base pitch adjustments. 96kHz sample rate, if your audio interface supports it, makes an even bigger difference. Moving to VI is the single biggest improvement you can make.

Jan Loosman

Re: How to get highest possible audio output fidelity?

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 4:41 am

If you are looking for software solution to improve your sound then i suggest to use room correction software.

You can use Sonarworks, Arc2 or Dirac. You always have to use a Daw like Reaper to use this software.
Dirac is the most advanced but needs to be online when using this software.

Jan

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing