It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

Modify MIDI messages before Hauptwerk sees them?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Modify MIDI messages before Hauptwerk sees them?

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:04 am

I'd like to be able to replace selected MIDI messages from my console arriving via my MOTU MIDI Express XT or any MIDI - USB interface to the PC. It could be limited to replacing one message with two for my purposes.

For example, with a single thumb piston or toe stud, I'd like to trigger the master crescendo increment (or decrement) button and then the edit button to make an additive stepper. I could assign the same toe stud as input to both virtual controls, but they might not trigger in the right order.

I don't know if this is possible on Windows, but I'd prefer a software solution. A Python program intercepting MIDI? I'm a programmer. Unclothed circuit boards aren't allowed in my house. :D

Another way, for this specific example, might be to assign the toe stud's ON message to the first virtual control, and the OFF message to the second. Is there a way to do that in Hauptwerk without an intervening program? The toe studs send Note ON when pressed, then OFF when released. HW Adjust MIDI shows the Note OFF option greyed out.

Thank you for any ideas.
Last edited by mnailor on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

Re: Modify MIDI messages before Hauptwerk sees them?

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:05 am

I haven’t used it, but the Bome software is often mentioned for this purpose:

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

If you’re a programmer, I’m sure you could write a quick program to do the same thing, however. Not sure if there are any other software suites out there like it. Personally I would use an arduino. If you don’t like how it looks unclothed, then you can always clothe it!

mnailor

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 am

Thank you -- I'll look at that.

mnailor

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Bome MIDI Translator should work for this, based on reading the user manual. I haven't bought it yet, but probably will.

If I translate a toe stud's Note OFF to a different Note ON, I can manually set two different virtual controls in HW to respond to press and release. (Wouldn't work with autolearn.)

Later: It works.

mnailor

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 10:15 am

OOPS. Got caught up in tunnel vision here.

The Bome translator works well. But my idiotic scheme of using cresc +/- with edit doesn't work, because edit replaces the entire registration. Should have seen that coming...

But it should be able to replace toe stud Note ON messages with CC messages identical to my cresc pedal, where I use a global variable as the CC value (stage) and increment/decrement it appropriately. And zero it on cancel, and set it to the stage when I actually use the cresc pedal.

Off into the weeds again...

mnailor

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Translating two toe studs into cresc + and - using CC messages works. Now I really do have an additive stepper. I also track the last CC value emitted by the cresc pedal, and zero the value on cancel, so it all works together without weirdness.

To advance one stage takes incrementing the CC value by 4, and that occasionally jumps over a stage (5 and 15 ascending), but I'm only setting 5 distinct registrations per sequence and then repeating the last in case I press + too many times. If the skipped stages were a problem, I'd need to adjust the rule to fix the few corresponding CC values.

Thanks again for the Bome idea.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing