It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

firewire

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Owen Jones

firewire

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am

Anyone else having problems with firewire and echoaudiofire units?
Last edited by Owen Jones on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: firewire

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 10:05 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 1:03 pm

Hello Owen,

I guess that you're having problem with the Audiofire on a Windows 10 computer. That interface was discontinued many years ago (7-8 years ago I think) and no official Windows 10 drivers were released. With the first few versions of Windows 10 some were able to have a functional AudioFire, but latest Windows 10 releases were no longer compatible with the old Audiofire drivers.

Time to replace it.. but believe me you will be happily surprised how much better the new audio interfaces sound compare to this old audio interface (dating back to the first half of the 00'). Since that time electronic components like the D/a converters greatly improved.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Owen Jones

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:08 am

I tried win 10 some years ago and it mucked up all my audio settings so I went back to win 7.
The past year has been a bad health year, so no organ playing. So finally rebooted the HW5, no luck.
Today I tried to boot up HW6, oops, need to buy it, ugh, not enough moola in the bank, the pension is a bit feeble, wife said no more money on the organ; it has been an expensive hobby. I have five of the Echo 12s. Yep I know the support for those units has ended, Apple had control over firewire units so Alesis dropped them. I found that there was an unknown bit of audio software had crept into the organ PC; damned gremlins! Got rid of that and everything sprang to life except HW. Will have to back to HW5. If had to replace the AE 12s, what would you suggest? Headphones ahahaha,. I don't think so,. Thanks for your reply.

randallschmid

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Owen,

You say "everything sprang to life except HW.", Does this mean that audio sources other than HW on your Win7 system which has 5 audiofire interfaces attached sound properly through the audiofire interfaces?

Romanos

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 9:55 am

Indeed, FireWire is a very outmoded spec. Some modern thunderbolt ports can handle the signal with an adapter, but it really isn’t a thing these days. When I finally update my old iMac I’m going to need a new interface too.

jkinkennon

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 am

A client and I are repairing an RME 800 with a replacement power supply and will repair the old power supply with a few capacitors. We elected to invest a little in the repair as the fact that Windows is not officially supporting firewire does not mean that the existing "legacy" drivers are not working.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't buy new firewire equipment, but there is no reason to think that existing setups are "doomed" for the next five years or so. Some firewire adapter cards work better than others and it might be necessary to replace a $20 adapter card if using a PC. It might also be necessary to track down a legacy driver -- just try Google as there's tons of info on the internet. BTW the RME power supply runs about $120 plus shipping if anyone needs to repair an RME 800 or similar model.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSun Apr 17, 2022 8:54 pm

There are legacy firewire drivers available for Windows 10, though they aren't easy to find, they aren't straightforward to install and they are rather confusingly named. I investigated this a couple of years ago as I wanted to transfer onto a PC some video recordings that I had made about 20 years ago on a Sony digital camcorder. The output from the camcorder was firewire. I had to find a PC that still had a firewire port, and it had been upgraded to Windows 10 at some point. The next problem was finding video software that would import from firewire, as this was no longer supported in the current versions of anything I could find. In the end I discovered that a programmer in the Czech Republic had had the same problem and written some software purely to import video via a firewire port. I managed to transfer the videos eventually but it was quite a headache.

Obsolete equipment is a big problem as soon as anything goes wrong. I was running Hauptwerk quite happily on a Mac Pro that I bought in about 2005 until my audio interface died (also firewire, though that was coincidental). I replaced it, only to find that there were no drivers for my old version of Mac OS, and I couldn't upgrade the OS as my Mac Pro was incompatible with a recent enough version. I managed to run HW fairly well from an old Windows laptop for a while (actually a Dell Precision mobile workstation, so it already had a fast processor and a lot of RAM) before getting a new dedicated HW PC. But I felt bad throwing out a Mac Pro workstation that had cost me thousands of pounds when it was new.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing