It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

Building a Headless Console

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

chrisdfrith

Building a Headless Console

PostSun Mar 06, 2022 2:18 pm

Hello,

My friend, Jim Stemke from DSP Audio in Schaumberg, IL, is rebuilding an original WurliTzer four manual theater organ console for my Hauptwerk set up in my home. I plan to run the console headless for most playing situations although there will be a touchscreen monitor corrected to the Windows PC that runs Hauptwerk. My questions are:

1) Has anyone designed/implemented a combination of MIDI pistons and/or jog dial along with a small LCD screen say from MIDI Boutique that would allow the organist to load, name and save registration combinations in Hauptwerk without having to use a PC keyboard and monitor?

2) Similar question as above but rather to load, record, save MIDI files using the internal HW sequencer without having to use a PC keyboard and monitor?

Did you use a jog dial? If yes, what brand/model? What type of small LCD screen did you use? Might it fit into one of the "junk drawers" that swing out on the console? What did you set up in Hauptwerk to display on the LCD screen?

I'm thinking of putting a small LCD screen in each "junk drawer" on the console with a jog dials and pistons to be able to name recorded MIDI songs and new combination sets.

mdyde

Re: Building a Headless Console

PostSun Mar 06, 2022 2:46 pm

Hello Chis,

From MIDI pistons Hauptwerk allows you to load, save and assign combinations (and to load/assign organs, and temperaments) to/from any of their respective 64 'favourite slots' using their existing names (e.g. 'Combs01'-'Combs64'), and to view their short-names on MIDI-LCD panels. However, you can't specify your own (different) names for them without recourse to a computer keyboard (or touch-screen with some kind of virtual computer keyboard).

Also, you can save MIDI and audio recordings with automatically-generated filenames, and you can load the last-used MIDI recording, all from MIDI pistons. However, you can't specify your own names for audio/MIDI recordings unless you also use a computer keyboard (or touch-screen with some kind of virtual computer keyboard), and you can't browse/select MIDI recordings to load without using a computer keyboard or mouse or touch-screen.

In essence, if using solely MIDI pistons and MIDI LCD panels you can do any of the things that can be done solely within any of Hauptwerk's control panels, but not things that open prompts (e.g. file browse/save-as dialogue boxes).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chrisdfrith

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Super helpful! Thank you Martin!

mdyde

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Thanks, Chris. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing