It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 pm

How to MIDI record/playback on other samplesets easily?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mnailor

How to MIDI record/playback on other samplesets easily?

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 3:28 pm

I'd like to record MIDI from my console on the way to Hauptwerk, and play back the MIDI file into Hauptwerk, without the limitation that the MIDI implementation only works on the same sampleset for files recorded by Hauptwerk itself.

I use a very consistent console MIDI mapping -- the only controls that aren't global for all organs are keyboards and expression pedals. Every piston and toe stud does the same thing on every similar style organ, so registration changes will work fine. Playback will only work on organs with the same keyboard order so the MIDI channels are right, but that's good enough for me.

So I'm looking for a simple, not necessarily free, Windows application that does MIDI file record/playback, passes MIDI through during record, and that Hauptwerk can see as a MIDI input port. I don't need to edit MIDI files or learn an elaborate DAW tool.

What software can you recommend, if any? Thank you.

Romanos

Re: How to MIDI record/playback on other samplesets easily?

PostMon May 02, 2022 8:40 am

I'm confused why you can't just use HW's in-built midi recording...

From the manual:
Note that if you load a MIDI file into Hauptwerk's native MIDI player that was saved with a different virtual organ (sample set), then only the keys will play; registration changes and other controls recorded in the file will be ignored because in general there is no reliable way to map them automatically in a meaningful and artistic way between different organs.

In other words, all you get is the notes, which I'd gather is exactly what you want when playing back the file on another organ.

mnailor

PostMon May 02, 2022 10:04 am

Well, no, I want piston and expression messages in the playback, too, exactly as sent by my console.

Romanos

PostMon May 02, 2022 10:05 am

Sounds like you need a full-console hardware midi scanner like pipe organs have.

OrganoPleno

PostMon May 02, 2022 10:31 am

Romanos wrote:Sounds like you need a full-console hardware midi scanner like pipe organs have.

Or maybe a HOST program like https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/ that can do recording on its own, before passing the signals along to Hauptwerk.

mnailor

PostMon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:
Romanos wrote:Sounds like you need a full-console hardware midi scanner like pipe organs have.

Or maybe a HOST program like https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/ that can do recording on its own, before passing the signals along to Hauptwerk.

I'll look into that. Thank you.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing