It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

MOTU 828 hybrid Mark 3 – intermittent audio

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organsRgreat

MOTU 828 hybrid Mark 3 – intermittent audio

PostTue May 03, 2022 10:32 am

One of my MOTU 828 hybrid Mark 3 sound cards has started producing intermittent audio – approximately one second of music followed by one second silence. I’ve tried the obvious things – rebooting the PC, turning the MOTU off then on, then rebooting the PC again. The fault remains. If this was pure audio I’d suspect a loose connection, but the MOTU is connected to the PC by Firewire; and usually if a digital connection is intermittent it’s accompanied by loud exploding noises as the stream moves in and out of synchronisation.

If the audio output connection was loose I’d expect it to affect one channel only, but it affects both sides of a stereo channel. Also, said MOTU is connected by Firewire to a second identical unit, to which it supplies a word-clock; but that second unit’s sync light is flashing (at 48). When everything's working properly that light is steady.

Should I try a Factory Reset as described on the MOTU website? “Press the Param/Setup knob until the LCD screen reads "828X SETUP" (or equivalent). The LCD screen will quickly flash to "LCD CONTRAST". Turn the Param/Setup knob all the way to the right. The LCD screen will read: "Factory Defaults Press [Value]". Push the Value knob. The LCD screen will display "Are you sure? Push [VALUE]". Push the Value knob again to confirm. The LCD screen will read: "Initializing...". The clock LED will flash when reset is complete.

Can scrambled software within the unit survive turning off then on? Windows Device Manager shows Inputs and Outputs on both MOTU units as present and correct. I’m using the Main Outs for audio. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

organsRgreat

Re: MOTU 828 hybrid Mark 3 – intermittent audio

PostThu May 05, 2022 6:00 am

Well fingers crossed – a Factory Reset seems to have solved the problem. I was initially reluctant to do this in case I disturbed any settings I’d made for Hauptwerk; but after further thought I realised that I’ve always used these sound cards with their default settings. I started by switching off the second 828 – which is linked via Firewire and word clock - in case of any interaction. Part way through the reset process the 828 instructed me to disconnect the computer, so I decided that turning it off would probably be adequate. The reset process itself is quick and easy; once it was done I turned the second 828 back on, then the PC, and everything is now working as it should. The second 828 is showing itself as synchronised to 48k, with that LED now lit continuously, whereas before it had been flashing. I hope this proves an isolated instance – it’s the first time it’s happened in several years with these sound cards.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing