It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

Two channel nummbers for one manual

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Sample_02

Two channel nummbers for one manual

PostFri May 13, 2022 4:39 am

On my three manual Hauptwerk (v 4.2) organ I am playing the Nacy sampleset (4-manuals) and the Friesach sampleset (3 manuals)
In midi the pedal manual is at midi channel 1, the three manuals are channel 2, 3 and 4 respectivily
During making a Midi recording with Friesach I observe the channel lamps and I see only one channel lamp at a time when I am playing only one manual.
With the Nancy sampleset I am using the Positive on the lower manual (channel 2), the Recit on the uppermanual (channel 4) and the Grand Orgue and Bombarde stops on the second (middle) manual (channel 3).
Now when making a Midi recording with Nancy I see only one channel lamp at a time when I am playing a note on only one manual except the the second (middle) manua with channel 3 (GO+Bombarde). Then I see two channel lamps 3 and 4 ligting up, playing a note at that second manual. Playing a note at the upper manual now shows channel 5.
Using the Midi Event viewer Midi-OX then for both organs there is only channel 1 (ped), 2, 3 or 4 and not 5 for the upper manual.
The midi file which is created with the Nancy sampleset shows also channel 3 and 4 for the same second manual (GO+Bombarde). The Note On and Note Off midicodes are the same, so channel 3 and 4 have the same information.
Can I adjust a setting anywhere in Hauptwerk to avoid this doubble channel for one manual?
Or did I cause this issue mistakenly during the installation of the Nancy sampleset?

mdyde

Re: Two channel nummbers for one manual

PostFri May 13, 2022 5:02 am

Hello Sample_02,

Briefly (since Hauptwerk v4 is no longer officially supported):

If you're referring to using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder/player, then it uses a fixed MIDI implementation (so that files are independent of MIDI hardware or a user's MIDI settings) -- see the "MIDI sequencing ... : Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide for details (page 181 in the v4.2.1 version).

(As detailed there), the "Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)" menu function shows the MIDI implementation that it will use for whichever organ is currently loaded, which is determined by how the sample set producer has assigned the virtual manuals' role codes.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing