It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

4 channel audio

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

srw647

4 channel audio

PostTue May 24, 2022 2:44 am

I've been using 2 channel audio for a while, using a perfectly decent Presonus audiobox 96. We're thinking of shuffling around some of our audio equipment, as part of which I'd be able to upgrade my HW setup to 4 channel (2 front, 2 rear). No I don't want to go further!

What recommendations do people have? I got the audiobox when I needed a Midi connection, but my new console is USB connected, so no Midi required. I need a headphone jack, but otherwise I just need a USB link to the computer and 4 line level outputs - I'll be using ordinary domestic amplifiers to power the speakers. (We already have too many amps and speakers to warrant buying powered speakers!)

I remember on here someone highlighting a new sound box with no non-USB inputs, but I can't find the reference now.

Any thoughts?

IanPounder

Re: 4 channel audio

PostTue May 24, 2022 3:26 am

I use a ESI Gigaport eX which has no inputs, no MIDI, but 8 channel output and a built-in headphone output that mixes the channels down to stereo. Some users find it noisy, but my example doesn't seem to be. Good value.

magnaton

PostTue May 24, 2022 10:02 am

You might be thinking of the Cymatic LR-16; USB, headphone jack, 16 audio outputs, and smartly priced! Seemed to be a perfect fit for Hauptwerk. Unfortunately its been discontinued. :cry:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LR16--cymatic-audio-lr-16-live-recorder

Danny B.

larason2

PostTue May 24, 2022 10:57 pm

There’s the Motu M4 4x4, Focusrite 4i4, Steinberg UR44, and Presonus 26c. Of those, I’d go for the Motu. Of course, if you’ve got more amps and speakers lying about, the temptation to hook more up may be too great! The advice is always to buy more channels than you need!

Romanos

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 8:48 am

I recently acquired the Motu 4x4 and I like it. Motu has record-breaking low latency, so that's a bonus. The one thing I didn't think of ahead of time is that it has a color screen on it, which makes me leery to leave it on all the time for fear of burnout. Cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess, but something to consider at any rate. My old saffire pro 40 had no screen and I think I left it on almost constantly for five years and it lasted over a decade. The only reason I've replaced it is I upgraded computers and cannot find the proper firewire adapters for it.

dhm

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 1:56 pm

magnaton wrote:You might be thinking of the Cymatic LR-16; USB, headphone jack, 16 audio outputs, and smartly priced! Seemed to be a perfect fit for Hauptwerk. Unfortunately its been discontinued. :cry:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LR16--cymatic-audio-lr-16-live-recorder

Danny B.

Danny, I think you might mean *LP*16 (Live *Player*).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing