It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

Looking for help using Roland Sound Canvas SC-88

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Looking for help using Roland Sound Canvas SC-88

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 6:19 pm

I have successfully connected a vintage Roland Sound Canvas SC-88 to my Hauptwerk for the Paramount 341 and it gives me some nice additional voices. But I'm having an issue and would like to hear from anyone who has some experience with this unit. I won't post the whole issue here - so just let me know if you think you can help.

Thanks!
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

larason2

Re: Looking for help using Roland Sound Canvas SC-88

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am

I recommend you post the whole issue here. You never know who may be able to help you.

damuehlbauer

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 10:43 am

larason2 wrote:I recommend you post the whole issue here. You never know who may be able to help you.

The unit is a Roland Sound Canvas SC-88 VL, In addition to the standard assigned 'voices', there are variations for many, such as Piano 1, Piano 1w, Piano 1d, etc. In a few cases I would like to regularly use one of the variations, but cannot seem to change them. The manual says to press both 'Instrument' selection buttons at the same time to access the variations, which works (not very easy to do), but I can't seem to get the variation to 'stick'. When I exit that mode, I'm back to the original voice. The manual doesn't provide more details.

Anyone know how to make the change to be retained?

Thanks.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

larason2

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 3:04 pm

You have to create a user instrument. The instructions are on 4-3 of the manual.

damuehlbauer

PostTue Jun 14, 2022 1:09 pm

larason2 wrote:You have to create a user instrument. The instructions are on 4-3 of the manual.

I think that might apply to the 'Pro' version. Unfortunately, I have the VL that doesn't have that lower section or its functions.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

larason2

PostTue Jun 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Ah, you are right. It looks like your unit doesn’t have a memory to save voices and presets on board. The best you can do is send the midi messages to your computer (the bulk dump command), then send them back every time you boot up. You can also just leave the unit turned on. You’ll have to upgrade to the pro version to be able to save presets in memory.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing