It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

Audio crakling/pop at loading of PC

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Harken303

Audio crakling/pop at loading of PC

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 2:08 pm

I've a dedicated PC. My audio setup uses two Motu audio interfaces. One is a master that connects to the PC and that connects via an ethernet cable to the other interface which is near the speakers. This was done to avoid long runs of speaker cables. It works flawlessly during Hauptwerk operation. The only thing that I am thinking must be an issue is something within the windows or a devices like the wireless mouse. I get a loud crackling / pop whenever I first start the PC. I've had times I get a similar crackling or pope when I click on a icon on the monitor. Any ideas or similar experiences and a possible approach to solving this would be appreciated :-)

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Audio crakling/pop at loading of PC

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Hello Harken,

Setting up 2 Motus (I did it a few times) linked by an ethernet cable usually works well, but to rule out any network problems, can you try/test by connecting some speakers to the MOTU connected (using USB) to the computer. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the MAIN (usb connected) MOTU during the test.

If you don't have glitches, then something is wrong with you network connection, MOTU configuration quite possibly. If you have glitches even with 1 MOTU only then have a look at Hauptwerk User Guide - Performance Tuning - starting at page 293. You will find a list of tweaks start page 308

Also have a look at this thread on our forum - https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15194

Also, disabling the service SYSMAIN/Superfetch (Win7) often solve audio glitches problems. Disabling Windows' page file also helps (see page 310)

Hope that helps.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

IainStinson

Re: Audio crakling/pop at loading of PC

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 4:08 pm

Have you tried powering on the speakers/amps after the Motu units are full initialised and ready?
If the power amps are active before the audio interface, sometime there can be a nasty pop or thump as the audio interface completes its startup sequence.

Similarly on shutdown, it may be better to turn off the power amps before the audio interface.

Iain

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing