It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

Composing with Hauptwerk in a DAW

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Whrrr

Composing with Hauptwerk in a DAW

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 5:55 am

Hi,

I've searched for a while and not been able to find anything specific to this. I'm fairly new to using a DAW (Reaper in this case) but am familiar with HW. I'm trying to compose some music on Reaper using samples, a virtual piano and HW. The VST plugin is working well and I've somehow managed to make Reaper record audio of my live HW playing onto a track. This is fine if the performance is perfect in every way and no changes are made to the composition at a later stage, so the ideal solution is to output the playing as a MIDI track into Reaper so that the MIDI info can be edited in Reaper afterwards.

The problem I'm having getting my head around is how, when playing the project back, do you hear the HW organ play in Reaper with the correct registration etc. so that at some point it can be made into an audio track that can be listened to? Am I trying to do two tasks in one? i.e (1) record the playing data (2) play it back in a DAW that required the HW samples to sound right.

How do other composers insert the HW sound into a DAW composition in such a way that the MIDI data can be edited? I

Many thanks for your help!

mdyde

Re: Composing with Hauptwerk in a DAW

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 6:11 am

Hello Whrrr,

My brief suggestion would be to configure Hauptwerk and the DAW (Reaper) in the way described in the "Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally, method 2: specifying your own MIDI implementation manually ... (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 273-280 in the current v7.0.0 version).

That way all MIDI goes via the DAW so you can record the MIDI within the DAW (using whatever MIDI implementation you like for Hauptwerk and other VST plug-ins). You can then tweak/edit the MIDI recording (within the DAW) until you're happy with it, then simply play it back (still from the DAW), whilst using the DAW to record the resulting audio onto a new audio track.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

paulm

Re: Composing with Hauptwerk in a DAW

PostSat May 27, 2023 3:57 pm

I wanted to add this to the Hauptwerk knowledge base as it took me some time to work out and is useful. This seems like the right place.

I also use Reaper but this should apply to any DAW.
The man 'trick' is to get and install a free virtual midi device. I use loopmidi but there are others.
In Loopmidi I created 5 'devices: Great, swell, kb3 for the manuals and pistons, launchpad for the hardware controls I use (a custom organ kb with pistons, and a novation launchpad).
In HW, those devices will appear as midi devices ... assign them in the usual way.

In reaper, add a new track, with input midi device as your keyboard. In the routing menu for this track, create a new send
to the appropriate loopmidi device. In HW, this should now respond to the HW midi learn function. Repeat for each KB and/or control desired.
(the midi sequence should be KB -> reaper track -> loopmidi -> HW)
The advantages of this over the VST, as supplied by HW, are many: Recording/playback via reaper works on a per manual basis AND the single instance of HW can now be used between projects without having to move the VST around *which is not great).
Good luck

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing