It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

To do two Scarlett 20i18s or one now and none later.

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

BobL

To do two Scarlett 20i18s or one now and none later.

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 7:56 pm

For my Hauptwerk project, I happen to have on hand a Focusrite Scarlett 20i18s. I had in mind that I might buy another and tandem them to get enough channels, but I have been advised that would invite a world of woes. And my estimated costs ballooned substantially when I started looking more closely at the hardware requirements, so I’d like to do this in parts.

First, is it true that I’ll rue two Scarletts as I was told elsewhere? If so, can I then use one initially and then switch to a MOTU 24Ao when I’m ready to add the additional channels without creating a Hauptwerk re-configuration nightmare?

Many thanks for any help, advice, etc.

It's to be PC-platformed. (thanks micdev)
Last edited by BobL on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: To do two Scarlett 20i18s or one now and none later.

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 8:48 pm

Good evening,

You are not specifying if you will use those interfaces on a MAC or a PC. To my knowledge, you won't be able to use 2 focusrite Scarlett series on a PC. On a MAC, you will need to check with Focusrite... since OSX allows audio interface aggregation but with some limitations (I think that USB is not supported...). Ideally check with Focusrite support.

I recall that with ASIO4ALL it was something possible (to use multiple similar audio interfaces... and that was about 10 years ago, not sure now with the new series and OS). Really don't recommend that

Your best solution is to use a 24AO. You will be able to use up to 3 MOTU 24AO on a PC (with a maximum if I recall of 64 channels using USB, not 72). MOTU 24AO are AVB interfaces linked together by an RG45 cable.

Focusrite RED is a DANTE compatible series who would also allow many outputs... but at a cost!.

Unless you audio inputs, why buy an 18i20 to later on switch to a 24AO. Go with a 24AO right away if you know that in the future you will need more outputs.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

BobL

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 9:14 pm

micdev wrote: why buy an 18i20 to later on switch to a 24AO. Go with a 24AO right away if you know that in the future you will need more outputs.

Because
BobL wrote: I happen to have on hand a Focusrite Scarlett 20i18s.

And I'm still in shell shock from finding out that the necessary computer is going to cost double my initial estimate...sigh.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:27 am

Ah... of course, in that case, use your Focusrite for how and you will see later on how you can expand your system.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

magnaton

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:55 am

BobL wrote:And I'm still in shell shock from finding out that the necessary computer is going to cost double my initial estimate...sigh.

Have you considered a used refurbished PC from a reseller or even Amazon? I was able to get an older i7, 512GB SSD, and 16GB of RAM for $320! I maxed out the RAM to 32GB and added a 2nd 1TB SSD for about $140. It works very well. Granted for the bigger surround sets and to future proof, a more power processor, NVMe drive, and more RAM capability might be in order.

I have a colleague running Piotr Grabowski's "Nancy" on an i5 (yes i5) and 32GB of RAM! Granted, just 2 perspectives loaded most at 16bit but it works and loads quicker that you'd imagine (16bit?) sounds really good and is playable with no issues.

Just wanted to give you a different perspective. As the HW VII manual states, its better to invest in a pro or semi-pro audio interface vs the highest end computer.

Danny B.

jkinkennon

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 8:21 pm

With the Scarlett 18i20 it's also possible to add outputs using the second 18i20 as an ADAT box. The Gen 3 model can do 8 additional inputs or outputs at 96k whereas the first model was restricted to 4 at 96k or 8 at 48k. So that's an option if there's no way to make them into a single composite device on Windows. I use an ordinary ADAT expander with my two 18i20s and that works well at a lower price.

BobL

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:18 pm

magnaton wrote: Just wanted to give you a different perspective. As the HW VII manual states, its better to invest in a pro or semi-pro audio interface vs the highest end computer.
Thank you for that.

BobL

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:28 pm

jkinkennon wrote:I use an ordinary ADAT expander with my two 18i20s and that works well at a lower price.
Thanks, I feel better already. Due to my tinnitus 48k will be fine I'm sure :) :(

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing