It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Custom MIDI interface

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

BobL

Custom MIDI interface

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 pm

I have an Allen MDS 71-s that I want to Hauptwerky (it's a verb). It has 3 manuals and I really want to add two floating divisions which will require some MIDI trickery to multiplex the use of the rocker tablets. Also, I plan to label each draw knob and rocker tab with a number, and I’d like to display a mapping between stop names and numbers of all the stops and tabs and highlight their state. (I am reasonably fluent with the C#/NAudio-MIDI API) Both of these processes require that I route the organ’s MIDI out through my app input and on to Hauptwerk and contrariwise for Hauptwerk’s MIDI out. Is there anything particularly idiosyncratic about Hauptwerk’s MIDI conventions/processing that I need to know about before I start coding?

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Custom MIDI interface

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:29 am

Good morning,

To learn more about Hauptwerk MIDI implementation, you will fin din the Hauptwerk user guide a section "MIDI implementation" starting at page 311.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

BobL

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:49 am

micdev wrote:Good morning,

To learn more about Hauptwerk MIDI implementation, you will fin din the Hauptwerk user guide a section "MIDI implementation" starting at page 311.

Thank you.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 1:53 pm

You're welcome.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

jkinkennon

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Anticipate some complications doing the MIDI control of the drawknobs and rockers. This is based on working on a much smaller console as well as the huge five-manual custom Allen I have with its 300+ drawknobs. I ended up doing a custom encoder for the long daisy chained stops Allen used during this era. I'm also perfecting a MIDI network for the large console. I'll share details if needed.

Then again the 71-s may turn out to be easier than I think. Good luck. The individual stops in these MDS models end up acting like a single large (and slow) SPI register.

BobL

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 2:35 pm

jkinkennon wrote:Good luck.
Thanks, sounds like I will need it. The tiny bit of info I've got on the 71's MIDI made it sound easy. I'll readjust my expectations.

larason2

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 4:18 pm

In my opinion, the easiest way for a system like this is to let Hauptwerk do all the multiplexing, etc. On all my systems, every key and button send simple note off/on signals, and every pedal/pot sends control change signals. Hauptwerk can replicate the function of pretty much any control you can think of, especially if you're going to go down the CODM route.

BobL

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 11:09 am

larason2 wrote:... On all my systems, every key and button send simple note off/on signals, and every pedal/pot sends control change signals.

Thanks, I sure hope that's true for my MDS!

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing