It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:51 pm

MIDI communication conflict

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

vrnback

MIDI communication conflict

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 10:53 am

We are interfacing a Verdin (Schlumerich) digital carillon controller to our Hauptwerk organ console.

There is a MOTU MIDI hub with an unused port. We connected the MIDI cable between the unused port and carillon control.

Even before "teaching" the carillon controller to recognize the rocker tab (to select the bell) & keyboard, the connection of the cable causes the following problems:
---selecting a stop on the swell plays on the choir
---selecting a stop on swell, solo or choir plays on the great
---selecting a stop on choir, swell, great or solo plays on the pedal

Note that there are no couplers activated. In fact, the sample set that we use does not allow solo to couple to pedal.

Reviewing the MIDI channels on the above keyboards & pedal, there is no commonality that'd explain the above behavior.

When the MIDI cable is disconnected, normal behavior returns w/o changing anything in Hauptwerk.

As far as I can determine the 5th port is not otherwise used between Hauptwerk and the console. However, I did not do an exhaustive check.

Not sure if this is a co-assignment problem, a communication conflict or something else.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks, Verne

jkinkennon

Re: MIDI communication conflict

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Is this the MOTU Micro Lite or the Micro Express? The Micro Express has internal routing capabilities controlled by the driver I assume. The Micro Lite is just 5 individual ports where the output of each port would be controlled in HW. If it's the Micro Lite I'd be looking for "any available port" settings where a specific port might be a better choice. The more info we have the more likely a solution will occur to someone. I assume the MOTU device is also consolidating your keyboard and pedal MIDI data, perhaps pistons or stops as well?

larason2

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 6:46 pm

It would be helpful to know who made your Hauptwerk organ console. Even though a sample set doesn't have certain couplers, they are available via the master couplers for every set. You may think that some controls on your console are unassigned, but they may have been assigned by the manufacturer. You would have yo clear the control first, but it depends on whether it was just set in Hauptwerk, or if it's part of the control hardware's specification. If it's the latter, we'll need to know who made it to help you. I would try to clear the midi settings in Hauptwer for those controls and see if it works.

vrnback

PostFri Oct 14, 2022 4:02 pm

It's the micro-lite.

Is there a way to download csv file or similar of all of the ports, rather than having to go through the assignments one by one? I checked the keyboards and a hand full of stops & tabs and could not find anything assigned to micro-lite 5. There were no cable connected to 5 until we attempted to connect the carillon controller.

The console is a converted Rodger's, custom by a part time builder in MSP, MN. I've been in contact with him. He did not provide a map of the assignments and could only provide guidance on the general assignments, keyboards, left & right jambs.

When I checked the couplers that were activated when the MIDI cable was plugged into 5, for example, Sw to Ch, which also have virtual couplers on the touch screen, there's was not use of micro-lite 5. I can check the couplers that don't exist in the console, but suspect the same result, no commonality to micro-lite 5...

larason2

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 2:10 pm

Get a midi monitor application, and see what midi signals are sent when you press each tab. For PC, Midi Ox is a good one, For mac, I use midi monitor. I don't think it's the micro lite, because it's just a conduit. Post the exact midi messages you get on the app when you press the tab you want to use, and we'll tell you what to do.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing