It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 pm

Allen pistons don’t send anything when Set held

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

ajt

Allen pistons don’t send anything when Set held

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 2:55 am

Anyone got experience with Allen consoles and their setter?

I’m working on an r-320 (I don’t know much about Allens), and set sends midi data, the pistons send midi data, but when both are pressed, eg hold set then swell 1, you get Set coming through in MIDI monitor but nothing else. No piston press.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Adrian

larason2

Re: Allen pistons don’t send anything when Set held

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 am

I'm not an Allen expert, though I have one, and they are frequently discussed on another forum I follow. I think the best way around this is to let the Allen do the piston setting and registration (i.e., configure the stops on the Allen to the stops on your Hauptwerk instrument, and then when you push the piston, or set which stops you want for the pistons, the stops will set the registration in Hauptwerk instead of the pistons triggering a Hauptwerk piston). Clearly this is not ideal, but I think it is a limitation of Allen's midi implementation. Another workaround is possibly to use another piston for the setter instead of the original Allen one.

MPiercey

PostSun Oct 30, 2022 11:20 am

Can you not change the Set pistons properties to Latching in HW, which keeps it active when you release the Set piston, then press the Swell1? Kind of makes it a 2-step process, but should work.

ajt

PostSun Oct 30, 2022 3:20 pm

MPiercey wrote:Can you not change the Set pistons properties to Latching in HW, which keeps it active when you release the Set piston, then press the Swell1? Kind of makes it a 2-step process, but should work.

Yes, that’s how I have it set up, but that works for the resident team of organists, but not for visitors who expect it to behave ‘normally”. This is a temporary installation in an English cathedral (2-3 years), where there are visiting choirs and organists, recitalists etc etc.
Adrian

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing